Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gourd Artists

Posted by sassie60 Z4 ON (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 20:58

I'm interested to find out if there are any gourd growers/artists in Ontario. It appears on this site that most responses are from the U.S. and I would love to hear from Canada as our season is so much shorter!
Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gourd Artists

This will be my first year growing birdhouse gourds so I have no experience. Right now they are flowering so I'm not even sure if I'll even have any gourds. Our growing season in Sudbury, Ontario is probably too short but we still have about 2 or 3 months.

o

Hi Claubill,
You are going to have so much fun running out in the garden to see if things are sprouting. I did grow gourds one year in a very small space and had success but when they dried I found the shells were very thin. Don't forget to go out at dusk and hand pollinate them. Again, it's a hot summer so perhaps you will have success.
I now run the roads and look for gourd growers who will let me pick them when the season is over.
A new grower has moved fairly close to me (approx. 1 hr.) and has wonderful gourds of many varieties that are all dried; you just need to clean them. Two really nice gals just acquired this business and will ship anywhere. The website is www.northerndipper.com
Good luck and let me know if you have success in your growing. Sandy

o

Hi Sassie60: I didn't realize that I had to hand pollinate them. That seems like a lot of work. Does that mean I won't get any gourds this year?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here