Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Mandevilla Vine

Posted by elle25 New Jersey (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 22:49

Please Help! We just got a Mandevilla vine today,we live in New Jersey, we had never seen or heard of them before, but thought it was beautiful. My husband planted it in the ground and we put the vines on a trellis. Now I see this forum and see that they need to be wintered. We didn't know that. Should we take it out of the ground or can we leave it there? Will it die in the winter? Can we take it out of the ground before it freezes or do we need to take it out now and put it in a pot? Thank you!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Mandevilla Vine

You Mandervilla vine will die if left in the ground overwinter. It can be left in the ground over summer and dug out before frost hit. Personally I would plant it in a pot, and bring the pot in at season end. Less shock for the plant, It can also be started with cuttings, Take some cutting toward the end of summer. Strip the bottom leaves off. Where the leaves meets the stem, is called a nod, this is where the roots will form. Put them in water for a few week until they develop roots or in dirt buried to where the bottom leaves were. keep it moist not wet at all time. You can add root hormones to the tip (nods) of your cuttings also, which help stimulate roots formation. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here