Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaillover_gw

Natural landscaping ideas needed

I'm in northern lower Michigan. I need some natural landscaping ideas for a house I just bought in a wooded area. The yard has been neglected. The side yard was once used as a dog run, which appealed to me because it's completely fenced and my dog needs to be contained or he'll wander. It was pretty rough looking when I moved in. I had the "field" mowed down, then I raked it and cleaned out the debris.

I know what I want, but I'm not sure how to execute it. I want to have a nice lawn in front with a stone or brick path down the middle. The sides bordering the trees and toward the back I want to leave natural so it blends into the woods. I also started a brush & compost pile in the back that I want to camouflage.

I also want to put in some kind of natural border. I have lots of fallen trees on the property and thought I could use them. Any ideas on how to do that? Then I'd like to encourage the ferns and other natural vegetation to grow behind the border and in front of the trees. Are sumacs a bad idea? I know they're invasive and there's a drain field close by.

This picture shows the entry way from the deck. There's a gate there and that's where I want the path to start.

Here's a wider view. I want the lawn to end just beyond that group of shrubs (choke berry?) The brush pile is on the left. On the right is a fence bordering the front yard, so that side will be all lawn. The drain field is on this side too so I have to keep it clear. That cement block is covering the sewer pipe! I'm looking into getting a proper cover put on.

I'd love any ideas. I'm looking for easy maintenance and cheap. I have enough to deal with on the other 3 sides of my house. I'll be doing the work myself... except for the path because I have a bad back.

This post was edited by SnailLover on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 21:57

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH