Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patti_anne_gw

Clematis

patti_anne
17 years ago

Over the weekend I lucked out at my local garden center. I got large potted perennials at muchly reduced prices.You know those end of season sales that we all LOVE so much.

In this group of plants that I couldn't refuse were 2 Clematis plants, "Golden Harvest". I got them for 99 cents each! Who in their right mind could refuse that deal? I know they definitely are not the prettiest of the Clematis group but....I've never had any luck with growing Clematis, so I'm crossing my fingers. We just installed an arbor in part of a new garden bed & needed something for it.

I planted these yesterday, saying a little prayer while doing so. Does anyone know anything about these plants? Any helpful advice will be appreciated. Is there anything I can do to help these survive, especially since I've already managed to kill 3 other species of them. I just don't know what I do wrong. This Spring the "Pink Champagne" (that was planted last Fall) bloomed absolutely beautifully, then all of a sudden DEAD. I pulled the dead plant out as I found a major ants nest in that spot. Will ants kill Clematis?

Comments (2)

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

Clematis usually start off slow, often will die back, but then in a few weeks will start growing again. Some will do this for three years before they will bloom reliably. Also, many people feel that clematis should be babied in a pot before planting it in the garden.

One of the clematis groups that don't seem to have this problem are the viticellas.

The clematis forum is a great resource. Have you looked there yet?

• organic_sharona
    17 years ago

The ants could have been a contributor. We have been trying to save a Red Maple with a large ants nest at the base for two years with no luck. I had luck with Clematis in Z6 (took a full 3 years to really take hold) I'm now in Z4 and will be planting 3 clematis for the first time here this fall. I'll let you know what happens next season!