Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Observation of Japanese Beatles and Greenbeans

Posted by daveswoodcraft New Hampshire (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 8:57

So something I have noticed this season, not sure how much it can be relied apoun but will try again next year and see.
I had 2 wide rows of green beans approx. 24" wide by 6� long
One row was Burpee Contender and the other Burpee stringless greenpod
About 1 � feet separated the rows.
There would be allot of Japanese beatle eating the leaves of the stringless plants down to fine lace and almost no beatles on the Contenders has anybody else noticed this? If I had no stringless would they have settled for the Contenders or found another food source?

Whats your thought

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Observation of Japanese Beatles and Greenbeans

I grow some reliables that seem to have some bug resistance. Zucchini Costata Romanesqua can survive striped cucumber beetles and squash bugs as long as I try to keep most of the bugs and eggs picked off.

Knock on wood, I don't have many Japanese beetles in the garden. First started seeing them this year on some weeds. This year we've left a swatch of wild meadow near the vegetable garden hoping to encourage good bugs and birds.

I'm going to guess that Contenders might not be very tasty to the Japanese beetles since they could easily have eaten both varieties.

Last night we watched a lot of dragonflies and birds swooping after smaller bugs. Some of the birds hunted on the lawn. We do not use chemicals on the lawn. We would kill good bugs as well as bad ones. Same goes for the gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here