Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil erosion

Posted by tifgw z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 10:18

There is soil erosion due to a small creek at the end of our backyard. To fix the problem, we plan to build up the bank using top soil and put a layer of rock over it. Do we need to cover the soil with the cloth? Or, it's better to leave the soil uncovered so that the weeds can grow to hold the soil? Suggestions are appreciated. Zone 5-6, moist to wet, partial sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil erosion

from the info supplied, I would basically build a dike (wall) of larger rocks, boulders,and would backfill. I would start the backfill by using sod, or what have you,green side to the rocks. the grass would continue to grow,holding the soil in place, and the rocks would hold the grass.

o
RE: soil erosion

You'll also want to address the root cause of the erosion, or all your work may be for naught. Is there more water flowing through the stream than in the past? Did someone upstream do something to change the flow? Slowing down the stream, such as by placing bits of log in the stream, can help stop streams from cutting down and creating canyons. But it depends on the overall factors affecting why your stream is causing erosion, which could depend on a number of things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here