Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spindly tomatos?

Posted by Scubadiver1 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 10:56

This has been a strange season. My garden is in the highlands of western Pa. So the growing season is more like New England.

Usually I get a dense jungle of foliage from tomatoes. This year my plants are so spindly it looks more like June than mid-August. They are fruiting their little hearts out, but much if the yield is sun-scalded. I notice that others' tomatoes in the neighborhood are just as spindly as mine.

I use black plastic mulch to stretch the season and to conserve water. Cukes, herbs, corn and dahlias in the same garden have prospered. There is no recognizable disease on the plants. So what happened to my tomatoes this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spindly tomatos?

Black plastic is not the best thing for tomatoes. Researchers have found that red is better for tomatoes.

I'm not sure what happened to your tomatoes. Usually leggy tomatoes are from lack of light. Have you had a lot of cloudy days this summer?

I know I always had plants grown in my greenhouse that had sturdy stems. About 3 years ago my tomato plants grew spindly stems that had to be planted deeply outside. They thickened once planted outside so I knew it must have been something with the greenhouse.

My greenhouse has a fiberglass covering. I purchased a stiff broom and used lestoil and scrubbed down the roof and got rolls of black gunk off of it. The next year my tomatoes grew well, so I figured it was lack of light that effected my tomatoes.

I don't know if it's that is what effected your tomatoes but it sounds like it may be if others in your area have the same trouble

o
RE: Spindly tomatos?

Thanks. I think you are right.

The black plastic is to stretch the growing season, and to act as a solar still. I only get to my garden every 2-3 weeks. It is at a mountain cabin in the Laurel Highlands. Plastic deals with the fact I'm not there to water for weeks at a time. Plus it's waaaay cheaper from industrial suppliers than plastic mulch from garden suppliers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here