Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollyhock's Yellowing Leaves

Posted by brian_ouimet 5 Ont (brian.ouimet@cogeco.ca) on
Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 11:10

Hi my hollyhocks have suddenly developed yellow leaves with some of them looking like they have been eaten. On the underside of the leaves there are little yellowish orange bumps. Any advice to help clean them up. Thanks.

Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollyhock's Yellowing Leaves

Brian,

I'm assuming the flowers aren't affected. Though I'm no expert, I would suggest you remove any infected leaf and discard it in the trash (Don't compost!)

My hollyhocks also have a recurring disease (looks like some kind of rust) showing up every year and affecting only the leaves. Although the flowers are ok, it makes the plant unsightly. Since it's a biennial I haven't been as vigilant as I should in discarding the infected leaves, and so the problem re-surfaces every year.

The only other alternative for you would be to remove every infected plant and replace it next year with new ones.
Helene (canadian daisy)

o
RE: Hollyhock's Yellowing Leaves

This sounds like hollyhock rust which affects the leaves and not the flowers. (in my experience)
If it runs for you as it does for me you will see this every year unless you start new plants in a different location each year and don't allow them to continue to regrow in the same area. I don't like doing that so I just pull off the leaves and throw them in the trash. It's just a fact of life with hollyhocks, however I hear there are more resistant strains out there that aren't affected as much by this rust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here