Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is the best time to start rose cuttings?

Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 11:15

My Blaze died but came up from the root stock as a single white which blooms for 1 day. :(

In a nearby cemetery, there is an amazing shrub rose with gorgeous double blooms, and the plant must be at least 80 years old, with trunks several inches in diameter. Obviously it is tough as nails as it gets NO protection from the north wind where it is.

I would like to take several cuttings of the plant, and was thinking that early September might be a good time. Do you think it will have enough time to formulate good roots to get it through the winter if I started within a week's time?

I was thinking of cutting the top 8 inches of a bloom end: removing all but the last 2 leaves, using a semihardwood rooting hormone; starting them in potting medium with good drainage; and then placing them in a protected shady northern light area of the garden. Am I on the right track?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is the best time to start rose cuttings?

Not sure about your space to do this indoors but any new growing tip should still start indoors under lights. I use Wilsons Rooting Gel for other plants and it seems to work almost anytime as long as the growth is fresh from which you are taking the cutting.
I put them into the larger peat pellets inside a Dairy Queen Sundae cup with lid.
Check out some of the pics on my blog under Blue Honeysuckle. Just copy this address to your browser
http://aprairiejournal.blogspot.com/

Here is a link about rose cuttings and willow water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Cuttings

o

I'm no expert, but I started 9 hardy rugosa rose cuttings a couple months ago. I made the cuttings as you describe, but also scraped the ends lightly with a knife before dipping in the rooting hormone. I planted them on the north side of my house under some shade trees with plastic pop bottles (caps on, bottom of the bottle cut off) placed over the cuttings which keeps the moisture in like a little greenhouse. It's very important to keep them watered so that you see condensation inside the bottle at all times. So far I've only lost one of the cuttings. The rest have all sprouted brand new leaves. Oh yeah, cut the leaves you do leave on your cuttings in half so you can tell when new leaves form. I've noticed that my new leaves are lighter in color. I'm planning on leaving my cuttings outside under their bottles all winter. I'll probably try and protect them with leaves or evergreen branches. I've never tried this before. I might end up with 8 dead cuttings next spring, but they didn't cost anything anyway.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 28, 07 at 16:46

Thanks cmmwiebe and Kristin_flower. Your comments are most appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here