Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to I winter my Hardy Hibiscus

Posted by voltman714 z4 ND (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 05 at 13:49

I have two new Hibiscus this year and they are zone 4. I am wondering how I winter them, do I need to cut them back and cover with mulch, or do I just let them go. Please let me know. Also when is the best time to move these, I put them in the wrong spot not realizing that they can get up to 4 ft tall and 4 ft wide. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to I winter my Hardy Hibiscus

The only thing I have done with mine is cut them back when the plant dies off. I don't do any extra mulching, I usually mulch in the fall/winter so they get a fresh layer of mulch for the winter. I know they don't like being moved the older they get. I moved some last year and had no problems. I moved them again this year and I will find out next year if they liked it or not.

o

Can't comment on moving them, but I don't do anything to winter mine over, either.
Just don't get discouraged when it doesn't come up with the other perennials in the spring. It's the LAST thing in my garden to break dormancy.

o

Being that it's supposedly hardy to zone 4 and you are in zone 4, you shouldn't have to do anything. But, being that it's the first winter, you might want to try mulching just as extra insurance. Just mound peat moss, loose soil, or compost, or leaves over the base. Maybe cover with burlap or a sheet of newspaper and rocks if you think it might blow away.

That would help insulate the root zone for winter.

I tried hardy hibiscus two years ago but unfortunately, even with mulching, it didn't survive the winter. It's just as well, since they are so late to come up in spring and apparently bloom late in the season, I am not sure it would be a good match for our climate. Of course I am mostly saying that because I am jealous that I can't grow it, lol.

Glen

o

Glen, Glen, Glen...don't give up so easily. Yes, they bloom late. Mine's just finishing. But that's a GOOD thing. Really, what else is there to get excited about in the garden right now? Anything that's six and a half feet tall with blooms the size of dinner plates? I thought not. :)

o

• Posted by willy 4--5 ? NH (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 4, 05 at 22:56

I everyone, I planted 3 hardy hibiscus when I bought them. Should I have cut them back early to form more stems? They are just one stem at base with the branches way up, all have flowers and buds now. Next spring (if they come up) should I do something to make then bushy??thank, willy

o

My Hibiscus came back fine after transplanting them a couple of weeks ago and cutting them back to the ground. I have tons of new growth sprouting on them. I think I will be fine for the winter. I think you should be fine if you move yours.

o
RE: How do I winter my Hardy Hibiscus

So was wondering also how to take care of my hardy hibiscus this fall and winter in a zone 7-8?? I live in VA and have the plant potted in a large potter so its not actually in the ground. So i was wondering if i should do the same with cutting it back and mulch or maybe cover it with plastic? and i was wondering when you say that it dies off does it start to look brown at the tops where the buds and leaves were???

Thanks

o

PLANTED TWO HARDY HIBISCUS LAST FALL AND THEY BLOOMED AND BLOOMED. I DID NOT DO ANYTHING FOR THE WINTERIZING BUT THIS YEAR CUT DOWN TO THE GROUND AND I SEE NEW GROWTH COMING UP ALREADY. DID I DO RIGHT?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here