Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voltman714

How to I winter my Hardy Hibiscus

voltman714
18 years ago

I have two new Hibiscus this year and they are zone 4. I am wondering how I winter them, do I need to cut them back and cover with mulch, or do I just let them go. Please let me know. Also when is the best time to move these, I put them in the wrong spot not realizing that they can get up to 4 ft tall and 4 ft wide. Thanks

Comments (9)

• rowdy
    18 years ago

The only thing I have done with mine is cut them back when the plant dies off. I don't do any extra mulching, I usually mulch in the fall/winter so they get a fresh layer of mulch for the winter. I know they don't like being moved the older they get. I moved some last year and had no problems. I moved them again this year and I will find out next year if they liked it or not.

• glen3a
    18 years ago

Being that it's supposedly hardy to zone 4 and you are in zone 4, you shouldn't have to do anything. But, being that it's the first winter, you might want to try mulching just as extra insurance. Just mound peat moss, loose soil, or compost, or leaves over the base. Maybe cover with burlap or a sheet of newspaper and rocks if you think it might blow away.

That would help insulate the root zone for winter.

I tried hardy hibiscus two years ago but unfortunately, even with mulching, it didn't survive the winter. It's just as well, since they are so late to come up in spring and apparently bloom late in the season, I am not sure it would be a good match for our climate. Of course I am mostly saying that because I am jealous that I can't grow it, lol.

Glen

• karen_w
    18 years ago

Glen, Glen, Glen...don't give up so easily. Yes, they bloom late. Mine's just finishing. But that's a GOOD thing. Really, what else is there to get excited about in the garden right now? Anything that's six and a half feet tall with blooms the size of dinner plates? I thought not. :)

• willy
    18 years ago

I everyone, I planted 3 hardy hibiscus when I bought them. Should I have cut them back early to form more stems? They are just one stem at base with the branches way up, all have flowers and buds now. Next spring (if they come up) should I do something to make then bushy??thank, willy

• rowdy
    18 years ago

My Hibiscus came back fine after transplanting them a couple of weeks ago and cutting them back to the ground. I have tons of new growth sprouting on them. I think I will be fine for the winter. I think you should be fine if you move yours.

• lisam21
    13 years ago

So was wondering also how to take care of my hardy hibiscus this fall and winter in a zone 7-8?? I live in VA and have the plant potted in a large potter so its not actually in the ground. So i was wondering if i should do the same with cutting it back and mulch or maybe cover it with plastic? and i was wondering when you say that it dies off does it start to look brown at the tops where the buds and leaves were???

Thanks

• GENO1968_AOL_COM
    12 years ago

PLANTED TWO HARDY HIBISCUS LAST FALL AND THEY BLOOMED AND BLOOMED. I DID NOT DO ANYTHING FOR THE WINTERIZING BUT THIS YEAR CUT DOWN TO THE GROUND AND I SEE NEW GROWTH COMING UP ALREADY. DID I DO RIGHT?

• veradeel
    8 years ago

Planted a 3 foot tall Hibiscus last fall in Victor, Colorado at 10,000 feet elevation. the plant sits right by the foundation with direct southern exposure. As soon as I noticed a bit of green this May, I protected the plant with heavy contractor plastic as we still have light overnight frost in May. Got 8 inches of new growth, but no blooms yet. I expect that I will need to protect the plant into October again from overnight frost, but the effort is worth it.. BTW, my Clematis came back too, again, it took a bit more work to keep the frost off starting mid September and again the month of May.

Sponsored