Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yvette_adams_gw

Help needed from Daylily people!

yvette_adams
17 years ago

I know zip about daylilies, except that I enjoy their beauty. I am now checking websites to try to educate myself a bit. My property had tiger lilies on it when I moved here, and I would like to grow some other types. But before I start trading I have a few quesions for the experts.

The tiger lilies that I found here when I moved in don't seem to form seeds...is that common? However the roots are prolific to the point of invasiveness...but I don't mind because I love them. Is that standard with daylilies, or just these ones?

And finally, what type of daylilies do you think are easiest to grow and will survive a cold Canadian winter?

Much thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond....Yvette

Comments (10)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Yvette, are you talking about Hemerocallis or Lilium? It sounds to me that you mean Asiatic lilies

or Orientals

These are Hemerocallis, or daylilies because their blooms only last a day:

In your zone 5, you should not have difficulties growing any of these, which grow in my zone 3 garden. Hope this helps a bit!

• yvette_adams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

DUH....not too bright, me. I was thinking of Hemerocallis, because I assumed that would assume from seed...(am I correct?) But what about Lilium,... will they grow from seed? These are beautiful Marcia! I can hardly believe they grown in zone 3! If you think they'll grow from seed, I'll try to trade for some. What are the names of these lilies? They are wonderful! YOu must have a heck of a garden, Girl!

17 years ago

I suppose you could grow any of them from seed, but it's more usual to buy the bulbs (or roots of daylilies) and not too expensive either. Just about any nursery or seed catalogue should have them. There's also The Lily Nook - they have great lilies and ship across Canada.

The first one is Centrefold, one of my favourites - love the brushstrokes! The other is an Oriental, but i'm not sure of the name. The daylily is most likely Little Business. It didn't have a tag and the nursery people weren't sure of what it was, but when i posted the picture of it at the Far North Forum, someone suggested Little Business and it looks a lot like it.

Hemerocallis are hardy to zone 3, though many people grow them in zone 2. Asiatics, ditto. Orientals need a little extra winter protection.

You should buy bulbs, really, and plant them this fall (Orientals are better planted in the spring, though). Do it - you won't be sorry! :)

• yvette_adams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I love to grow from seed but I do buy bulbs occasionally. I'll check out my gardencenter in the fall. I assume I should plant them at the same time I plant my tulips and daffodils? Centerfold is the nicest one..I agree. Thanks so much Marci for taking the time.

17 years ago

No problem, and good luck! :) Yes, plant them when you do your other bulbs. Orientals, though, are better planted in the spring but maybe in your zone you can do them in the fall.

Pictures next year, okay?

• lilium_guy56
    17 years ago

hi yvette...Daylilies in general are not invasive. They will spread but they don't become a pest. What you are calling TIGER LILIES are NOT Tigers. Lots of people call them that tho'. I call them "DITCH LILY". they grow everywhere and I believe the correct name is FULVA LILY. And they are the worst invasive thing I've ever seen. Don't plant them anywhere that you don't want to take over. There are more colors of the other DAYLILIES than you canm coynt. With blooms from 1" to 8" and from 8" high to 6'. Those are HEMEROCALLIS. You can devide those by just cutting the root ball in half or thirds with a shovel. They are quite strong. I devide mine in the fall.
    The others are LILIUM. They have bulbs. Also too many colors to mention. They are winter hardy up to zone 2b I believe. Which is like Santa Clause land. LoL. I agree the ORIENTALS are the most fragrant. As for looks my favorite is a Trumpet Lily which I can't think of the name right now but it's 9" deep by 8" across and white with a dark yellow center fading to pale yellow tip. Of course you MUST have some STARGAZERS. There are close cousins of Stargazer which are not but they will sell them as such. One is called EXPRESSION. I believe the second pic is called TOM PUCE.Have fun.

• venuscat
    17 years ago

yvette,

Here are some of my collections, asiatic lilies, oriental lilies, daylily and the list goes on. You can see the differences.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85998262@N00/sets/72157594232594628/

Hope this helps.

venuscat

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

Hello...once in a while I pop in here to read, seldom post. I live in Wisconsin, zone 4/5. If you really are interested in daylilies, check out the daylily forum. You will find a wealth of information there.

Over the past several years I have really started planting a lot of dayliles. They are pretty much a carefree plant for your garden. There are some very expensive ones, but many inexpensive ones are also available. Also there are early, mid and late blooming varieties so that you can have bloom from early July well into late August.

These are a few shots of our daylily garden that was created and planted in spring of 2005 so it is only a year old.
    {{gwi:733550}}
    {{gwi:733552}}
    {{gwi:733551}}

Below is also a link to the daylily page of my website. There are quite a few closeups of individual blooms on that page. There really are a great variety of beautiful ones available. These are just a few to give you an idea of the variety/type of blooms available. Almost all colors can be had, except for blue.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{gwi:940737}}
    {{!gwi}}

Can you tell that I love daylilies? :-)
    Marylu

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylily web page

• northerner_on
    17 years ago

lilium_guy56: I think you were a litle hard on Tiger Lilies. I have bought some from a quite reputable mail-order nursery and they have not taken over in 5 years. As a matter of fact, they are late-bloomers (now) and add a little colour when everything else is dying down. I have bought them in yellow and white which flower earlier.

Beautiful pics Marylu. I planted a daylily garden in 2004 with about 15 plants from a daylilly lottery. One bloomed in 2004, a few last year, but this year they all bloomed and I had some real beauties. And the fragrance!! Lilies (Lilium) have always been my favourite flower, but Hemerocalis are giving them some real competition, especially since the advent of the red lily beetle (ugh!!). They are carefree and with an increasing number of scapes each year the bloom period is very long. Go for it, Yvette. You'll love them.
    Northerner.

• suenh
    17 years ago

Hemerocalis fulva doesn't form seeds. It's pod sterile. That's the old orange ditch lily you see around farmsteads and forgotten foundations all around the northeast. I've got a big patch of it here on a bank where little else will grow. Don't plant them in a bed. They will take over and choke out most other things. Leave them where they can do their thing and enjoy a carefree plant.

Daylilies do come in many other colors and forms. Only a few are pod or pollen sterile. Playing with the seeds gives you endless possibilities. Easier to grow from seed than the true lilies. Good confidence builder for a beginner.

{{!gwi}}

http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi
    Gawk at all the pictures a bit. Bet you find something you like!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor