Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted fall mums - will blooms last for the wedding?

Posted by angela_a 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 14:29

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice. I'm getting married outdoors in mid-September (coming up fast!) and am going to use potted fall mums to decorate the yard. I was originally planning to buy the plants just before the wedding, but there is a one day sale this weekend (6" pots for $1.99 each).

If the plants are in bloom this weekend, how long will the blooms last? I have a feeling that it is wishful thinking on my part to hope they'd last long enough, as they'd have to last 6 weeks to make it to the wedding.

Any tips on ways to make the plants bloom for as long as possible?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted fall mums - will blooms last for the wedding?

No, they will definitely NOT last nearly that long. At best, during the hotter conditions of summer, they will last about 10 days. I've seen them go from fairly tight buds to blasted in five or six days during particular brutal hot spells in July or August. They will last about 3 to possibly 4 weeks later in fall, because the nights are a lot colder as a rule, and it acts as natural refrigeration. All of the above is somewhat variable due to weather conditions and cultivar.

If you want to make mums last "as long as possible" put them in a semi-shady spot when the flowers open, and keep them watered. That will buy you a few extra days.

Bottom line is that you should go back to the original plan, getting your mums sometime within a week of your wedding date, and then be sure to check them every day for water because they can dry out very fast.

Good luck and congrats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here