Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early Sunglow Corn Texture

Posted by Scubadiver1 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 16:53

This year was my first attempt at corn. My place in Western PA's Laurel Highlands is more like New England than Pennsylvania, so I started with Early Sunglow. Got edible ears in August 4th. They were smallish. Plenty sweet, but the texture I found somewhat mealy.

So what did I do wrong to get a mealy texture? I microwaved the ears in the husk. Did I cook too long or too hot? There was white sap when I popped a raw kernel, so I don't think I picked them too soon, even if the ears were small.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early Sunglow Corn Texture

Um, your basic problem was you grew 'Early Sunglow' -- a pretty reliable early variety that's been around forever, but its culinary merits are pretty lacking. Tends to be kind of flavorless, mushy, blah. In other words, I'm trying to say in a humorous way that you didn't do anything wrong, really, the variety is just a dog in terms of culinary quality. It is possible that yours was maybe starting to get on the old side when harvested if "mealy", older kernels beginning to convert to starch can still contain "milk". These SU varieties tend to have a much shorter shelf life, on the stalk or in the refrigerator, than the newer SE and especially the Sh2 and synergistic varieties.

I recall 'Sugar Buns' as being better than average for an early corn, but still not as good as main season.

Really, of the early corns I've dabbled with, early was the good part of the equation, but none of them were very impressive in terms of taste or texture.

Don't feel too bad about it, I've been there. I grew Early and Often from Burpee last year, and it did really well, large nice ears, productive, and tasted awful, like field corn. I didn't trash it, but I marked the frozen packages and reserved for use in things like enchilada casserole filling where it would basically just be filler and the flavor would be hidden by the spices.

My future approach to attempting any early crop would be to use my regular varieties such as Sun and Stars from Burpee, and start them extra early in 4" pots, then use season extending techniques like black plastic mulch and row covers for added spring heat. But I didn't get that far this year with the weird early spring and everything popping fast, other garden chores took too much time.

o

Um, your basic problem was you grew 'Early Sunglow' -- a pretty reliable early variety that's been around forever, but its culinary merits are pretty lacking. Tends to be kind of flavorless, mushy, blah. In other words, I'm trying to say in a humorous way that you didn't do anything wrong, really, the variety is just a dog in terms of culinary quality. It is possible that yours was maybe starting to get on the old side when harvested if "mealy", older kernels beginning to convert to starch can still contain "milk". These SU varieties tend to have a much shorter shelf life, on the stalk or in the refrigerator, than the newer SE and especially the Sh2 and synergistic varieties.

I recall 'Sugar Buns' as being better than average for an early corn, but still not as good as main season.

Really, of the early corns I've dabbled with, early was the good part of the equation, but none of them were very impressive in terms of taste or texture.

Don't feel too bad about it, I've been there. I grew Early and Often from Burpee last year, and it did really well, large nice ears, productive, and tasted awful, like field corn. I didn't trash it, but I marked the frozen packages and reserved for use in things like enchilada casserole filling where it would basically just be filler and the flavor would be hidden by the spices.

My future approach to attempting any early crop would be to use my regular varieties such as Sun and Stars from Burpee, and start them extra early in 4" pots, then use season extending techniques like black plastic mulch and row covers for added spring heat. But I didn't get that far this year with the weird early spring and everything popping fast, other garden chores took too much time.

o

Thanks. I guess we will freeze the Early Sunglow for cooking.

My Silver King became ripe this last weekend. Nectar and ambrosia!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here