Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icefox_gw

dying perennials and azalea

icefox
19 years ago

Please help

My perennials and shrubs are slowly dying. It is in one particular area of my landscaping. I planted new perennials and azalea in there this spring, as I had no success with astilibeÂs in there last year. Before that I had hostas for many years without problems there. I am not familiar with dying plants and what to do about it or with it. Should I use chemicals? What kind? Bleach the area? Poor boiling water in there?

I have a baby hosta in that area that starts browning from the "infected" area (please see a second picture) and I would like to save it. What should I do?

Thank you in advance

Comments (10)

• icefox
    Original Author
    19 years ago

sorry for the forgotten link

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

• ssarde
    19 years ago

I noticed it was next to your foundation. Could you have a problem with the soil not being acidic enough? I know azalea's like acidic soil. I think astilbes do too. Do you use an acid fertilizer to correct for the basic conditions you foundation is putting in the soil?

• icefox
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I tested the soil with my PH tester and it showed 4.5. I am not sure if it works right though, my soil tested pretty much the same all over the gardening portions of our property (couple of acres). Our soil is basically very dark brown all over the property, no soil stripping was done or maybe some, but that was about 45 years ago.

The soil in the affected area looks very good, drains well. I just realized, this year with so much rain, the soil was wet basically all spring and summer long. It was dry some times though. I also added coffee grounds in there this spring. Maybe I put too many coffee grounds there? I did add miracle gro to azaleas and rhododendrons once a week in spring and summer this year. It made my other azalea (left of rhododendron & not on picture) and rhododendron really healthy comparing to last year as I didn't use anything.
    I was told I shouldn't plant an azalea in the affected area because it doesn't get any sun. The rhododendron to the left seems to be very well though.

I have a bad feeling I created the problem. Do you think I have a plant disease in there now?

thank you in advance

• icefox
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I retested the soil today morning. The value is right between 5 and 6. I didn't know soil's ph can change so much. The original testing (4.5) was done about a month ago.

• dentaybow
    19 years ago

Get a soil test done by a soil testing lab. This will give you accurate, reliable results. Check with your local extension for info.

• dentaybow
    19 years ago

Get a soil test done by a soil testing lab. This will give you accurate, reliable results. Check with your local extension for info.

• bernice
    19 years ago

we have had such a blah summer this year . with my garden all the nitrogen is being washed away causing browning to leaves this could be your problem to . try using a high nitrogen product on the soil . i use bone meal. around this time of year. this works for me . miracle gro is a good fertilizer too. too much rain can be harmful to your garden at times ha..

• icefox
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thank you, I will do that - fertilize with high nitrogen and add bone meal to the dirt.

I will get a soil test done by our county extension as well.

• jroot
    19 years ago

Surely, it is not those Giant Schnauzers! I love them.

The weather is probably the culprit here. Our azaleas are growing like crazy here....lots of acid soil. Great for the rhodos etc, but not so good for other plants.

Keep petting those schnauzers. We have had 5 minis. The best dogs ever.

• icefox
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Our dogs don't even get to that portion of the property. They have their own run and kennels.
    I typically don't fertilize because all my plants look well without it. But in this time I will, I actually got the fertilizer yesterday. It was hard to find one with high nitrogen in this time of year, bot I got one with 16 (that was the highest I found without the other numbers being too high).
    And yes, schnauzers are the best breed in the world - for me.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures