Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to plant daylily & catmint now?

Posted by kristin_flower 4a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 20:10

I'd like to add some hardy perennials to my garden. Is it too late in the season to add daylilies and catmint (hardy to zone 3 according to the garden center tags).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to plant daylily & catmint now?

Not too late to establish, but they will not bloom this year. If your area is still hot and dry, I would wait another week or two. Perennials will establish better in the cooler, wetter conditions of early fall rather than summer. Perennials planted in the fall will grow roots until the ground freezes and be in good shape to take off in the spring.

o

As a follow-up to Judy B above, I would like to say that any transplanted perennial needs to be in the ground six weeks before the hard frosts. So, for instance, around Ottawa, you should get your transplants in the ground no later than mid-September.

o

Daylilies are one of the hardiest, low maintenance perennials out there. In fact, some spread so quickly they are almost like weeds! Daylilies THRIVE when divided with relative frequency. I have actually left some clumps o daylilies utside on the bare ground over winter, and in 1 example, I found 2 clumps this past OCTOBER/early November. They both clearly still had good roots, so I planted them and expect to get blooms next year.

The only caveat to late season planting is the stronger risk of heaving. Like bulbs, though, they can be planted right up to snow in some cases. If the ground is diggable to the necessary depth, and doesn't have ice grains, you can plant them.

Mark-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here