Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randiliana

Questions about Saving Seeds

randiliana
19 years ago

Hi,

I have a large clump of Cushion spurge and also several Sedum plants. They both flowered this spring and I would like to know what the seeds look like and how to save them from these plants or if there is even any point in doing so. I would appreciate any info that anyone can give me. Thank You

Randi

Comments (8)

• lukaslilies
    19 years ago

I have not needed to save seeds from cushion spurge, as it has scattered itself through my garden with abandon! (not WILD abandon, just abandon)

Sedum: The seeds are usually generated in the fall -- but to make a long story short, they don't usually come true to the parent plant and so are not worth saving. If it's sedum offspring you're after, I would divide the plant either spring or fall. You can be pretty aggressive -- I have divided them into individual stems and replanted. Had one stem of "Frosty Morn" last year and now have 20 good-sized plants.

• abgardeneer
    19 years ago

You may be lucky to even still find seeds on early blooming plants, as the seeds generally fall to the ground when the seedhead becomes dry enough. In the case of early-blooming plants, like spurges, this might have happened some time ago (as it did on my various spurges), even though the colorful seedhead bracts are still visible on the old flowerheads. But, by all means, take a look - if you don't see anything that resembles seeds, then that's likely what happened.

• randiliana
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you guys. Does anyone know what Cushion Spurge seeds look like? i.e. color, shape, size?

Randi

• abgardeneer
    19 years ago

Seeds from donkeytail spurge (Euphorbia myrsinites) look like little round, black balls. Haven't paid attention to cushion spurge (only finally broke down and planted it last year), but suspect they might be similar since the flower structure and the colored seed bracts which remain on the plant are very similar. As I mentioned though, my cushion spurge, donkeytail spurge and Euphorbia griffithi dropped their seeds long ago - they're all early bloomers. Good luck.

• randiliana
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks ABgardener,

My Cushion spurge is still flowering since it has been such a cool, wet spring! So there may still be some seeds to be found.

Randi

• clairdo2
    19 years ago

would like to see pics of sedum and spurges because I dont know what they are.
    thanks
    claire

• kat3
    19 years ago

Sedums can be easily started with cuttings... I sprinkle with root hormone & stick them in the ground.. Just don't over water or you will rot them... The spurge I have I did the same way... So far 100% luck in rooting them...
    Claire theres pics of some of my sedums in the Far North forum, under Garden Pics - week of September 13th..

• out2garden
    18 years ago

The seeds of Cushion Spurge (Euphorbia polychroma) are black, roundish and small, about 1/16 inch or less in size. You will see the seed pods forming in the middle of the flower bracts. When the plant starts fading in the Fall, the seed pods will start opening and spreading the seeds. To save the seeds, I cut the plants near the base of the stems and place them upside down in a paper bag. Make sure they have air circulation so the seed pods can dry and open in the bag. Don't cram a lot of plants in one bag.

Here is a link that might be useful: DAVE'S GARDEN

Sponsored