Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
August Gardening and Mosquitos

Posted by evary none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 23:31

OK, this may be a little strange. Just wanted to know if anyone else has developed a paranoia to being in their gardens because of those pesky little mosquitos and that whole west nile virus scare. Is it just me being paranoid, or other people scared to be in their own gardens too???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: August Gardening and Mosquitos

I'm not scared. For one thing, I don't get a lot of bug bites. Maybe because I cook with a lot of garlic. I don't use bug spray unless it's black fly season. Use what is recommended and just stay in during the times of the day when mosquitoes are out. Today, where I live, is probably only in the 70s with a ligh breeze. It's a great time to be working outside.

o

I'm on the prairie and there is usually a breeze which enables me to work somewhere in the yard. Besides it's been so dry here the mosquito population is currently very low. If necessary I'll use repellent but they don't bother me much unless their are a lot of them. I've wondered about the garlic having an effect. (No vampires around my house!)

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 23:56

I work late in the garden at times without a shirt and get bitten a lot (oddly the more you are bitten the less you feel them, must over load the nervous system)

I come in with my back and legs looking like mountain ranges which annoys my sig. other, but all I do is take a shower and they do not seem to bother me any more.
Now what are called biting gnats, that is a different story.

I would not worry about it, life it too short to let experts the sky is falling bs ruin it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here