Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
green house materials

Posted by the_blue_rose (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 0:15

Any idea which is better for a green house? Plexiglass or glass. Perhaps another material?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: green house materials

I do not have a greenhouse, but I am looking at 6mm polycore as a possible material. Clear glass does not diffuse the light as do the synthetics.

o

Anything that lets in good light and keeps out cold is good for a greenhouse. If you have salvedged wondows(doulbe paned is best)use them, or put plastic over them to create a dead air space.

If however you are buying stuff for a greenhouse go with polycarbonite panels. They have a Uv film on them and are made for greenhouses. Don't forget to add closable vents

o

Hi I used to work several years at a greenhouse was the R&D guy /grower for about 50,000 sqft plastic and 2 large glass houses..which were changed to lexan.
Yes the double poly is best and you could dig down 2 feet or so and put ridged insulation around the perimeter. A lot of heat loss comes from there. Inflate with outside air. Some put an inside ceiling over the plants at night or a thermal covering over the entire greenhouse at night. During the day if it is getting to hot shade it from the outside..that works best. Also note that small greenhouses are not the best cause the air change is to fast. So be aware of that and regulate accordingly. Hope this helps you out : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here