Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shapiro_gw

Buddleia survival

shapiro
19 years ago

I am ready to try growing buddleia again! Gardening just outside Ottawa, I had one that lasted a few years and then died (maybe a tough winter?). Now my plan is to plant my buddleia in a very sheltered warm spot on the south side of a brick wall PLUS the waste water pipe going out to the septic tank passes right under this bed. I figure this way, the top may die down but the roots will definitely survive. Has anyone else ever tried this trick?

Comments (9)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    19 years ago

You would be fine with just the 'sheltered' spot and a bit of mulch.
    I started some from seed last year. Those which survived the winter - and it was our coldest on record - were the ones which were facing south against the side of our home. I just threw a bunch of leaves on them before the snow began to fly.
    I am often hesitant about planting perennials immediately around underground pipes which exit the house for the reason that they are usually warmer than the soil surface, and as such might start the plants growing too early in the season when a hard frost could kill them.
    Nicole.

• tess_5b
    19 years ago

I never had any luck with them either. But then I planted one last year against the south wall of my shed, which is painted a light cream. Came through last winter brilliantly and is looking fabulous this year. I think the sheltered spot definitely helped it survive.

tess

• Joan Dupuis
    19 years ago

Tiffy, what method did you use for seed germination please. Would appreciate details. Thanks.

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    19 years ago

I never really thought much about Buddleia since it was so common here and is seen growing wild. I took a section that was poorly uprooted and dropped it in rather unceremoniously. Grew like a weed. They remain mostly evergreen as well during winter. Maybe I'd consider a varigated one if such a thing exists.

Cheers, Barrie.

• marricgardens
    19 years ago

Hi Patricia. I am also gardening in Z5a. I planted a Buddleia about 3 years ago. I knew the area was very hot and windy so I planted in front of a row of pines. Winters are very windy and can go down to -25. To my surprise, the Buddleia made it thru the winter for the first two years. Last year, it died. From now on, I will treat the Buddleia as an annual shrub and start new ones from seed every year. I'm not sure this is what you want to know, it's just my experience. Marg

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    19 years ago

Bloomorelse,
    I have been winter sowing for the past couple of years with much success. Since I don't have a greenhouse or lights in the basement, this is the way to go for me. I've posted a link to the WS FAQs for you. Most folks copy them out, then read and get hooked! It is an easy, affordable way to grow loads of plants for your gardens. And it's done in the winter when time is plenty. I will collect containers, trade seeds and gather dirt until February, and then I start sowing.
    Every year thus far, I've had too many plants and have given away many.
    You should try it.

Nicole.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing FAQs

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

Harlequin is variegated.

• sheryl_ontario
    19 years ago

Sprigs root easily too. Just use rooting hormone and stick in soil, keep moist for a few weeks. You might not even need the hormone. I've managed to keep them overwinter with lots of mulch.

• NicoleB
    19 years ago

Hi,

A thing to remember about buddleia is how late the shoots come back in the spring. Spring 2004 was very cool and wet in our area and for awhile I thought i had lost both my budds ( a seed grown cutie and a Black Night)but they finally showed up in mid to late JUNE!! They are quite a few years old, grown on the most sheltered side of the house(south) in very sandy, well-drained soil. They did not bloom a lot but I was happy just to have them back, they'll have better years in drier, hotter summers.
    Best of luck
    NicoleB

Sponsored