Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rkeirn

Moving to Canada

rkeirn
15 years ago

I have been living in Virginia. I am moving to New Brunswick, just above Maine. I am hoping to grow a lot of our vegetables. Does anyone have any gardening advise?

Comments (11)

• Jeanne
    15 years ago

Good Luck! I used to live in Michigan and am now in Nova Scotia, on the coast. I cannot get a red tomato before September and cannot grow peppers or melons here. Lettuce, spinach and chard does great...beans too. My advice is to see what grows well, and stop trying to grow things that don't. I don't like to give up, but sometimes it's wiser to accept the fact that you can't grow the things you really want, than to be frustrated every year when the plants don't produce.

• winnjoe
    15 years ago

Jeannesue, I grew tomatoes in Nova Scotia in black 5 gallon pots. It helped with heat and drainage. I chose early varieties and had no problem getting tomatoes before frost, with some (but not a lot, true) before September. Inland is better; my cousin in Sussex NB gets tomatoes in mid-August. Joe

• maggiepie_gw
    15 years ago

I live in NB, and this year we picked our tomatoes ( mostly heirlooms and grape tomatoes of various types) early as they were attacked by blight and then stink bugs.
    The tomatoes have ripened well indoors and we have heaps left.
    Our Pole beans were fantastic and were fruiting non stop until the killing frosts we had.
    Some winter squash, lots of summer squash ( only grew 4 types this year) , sugar snap peas.
    Potatoes grow well and next year we should be able to start harvesting our asparagus.
    Chives grow into huge plants too, and french thyme, oregano, french tarragon and mint survive the winter.

• plant_lover08
    15 years ago

good luck through i live in more northern canada so its harder up here and i suggest cauliflower(it grows gr8 here)

• luckygal
    15 years ago

If there is a local garden club in your new town it might be useful to attend meetings for awhile. You will get a lot of advice and probably free plants as well. Our local club had a list of which plants grow well in our climate so I didn't have to waste time, effort, and money trying to grow the impossible when I moved from zone 6 to this cold zone 3.

• canadian_daisy
    15 years ago

Hi,I live in Northern Ontario and grow tomatoes with no problem. The trick is to a) buy hardy cultivars such as Early Girl (available from T&T Seeds or McFayden seeds in Manitoba) and b) start the seeds in late March to be transplanted when danger of frost is past. Here it's the first week of June, so I imagine in New Brunswick it's much earlier.

Depending on the summer I've also successfully grown sweet corn and green peppers. This in an area where winter temps have dipped to -40 C!

Don't give up! Things such as row covers, Cozy Coats for protecting plants from frost etc are also effective in prolonging the growing season.

Links you might want to check out
    www.ttseeds.com/ http://www.mcfayden.com/scripts/wgate/zmcfayden/!?~okcode=START&ostore=mcffalen&~language=en

Good luck
    Helene

• tcskitten
    15 years ago

Welcome to NS... your posting was awhile ago, but I thought I'd write you anyways.
    The past few years have been hard on tomatoe growers, here in NS. However, I think I have found the secret. I now plant my tomatoes and peppers along the foundation of the house (sunniest area). The heat is reflected back on your plants. To offset what is in the house's foundation (concrete), I make my beds with copious amounts of aged manure. Once my plants are in bloom, I add another layer again. Spreading straw between the plants will keep harmful soil bacteria from being splashed back onto your plants.
    I also interplant chives, borage and beebalm ... these are natural deterrents for these crops.
    By the way, I too live in N.S

• ontnative
    15 years ago

My sister lives in N.S. and grows lots of tomatoes for cooking and freeezing. She starts them indoors, plants them out in the garden in early June and has lots of tomatoes in late Aug.-September. She buys her seed locally (Halifax area) and grows varieties that were developed for the Maritimes. Varieties that were bred to grow well in longer season areas do not do well in N.S. I think she buys most of her vegetable seeds from the Halifax Seed Co.

Here is a link that might be useful: Halifax Seed Company

• don_brown
    15 years ago

Oh for goodness' sakes, it's not all that difficult. Veseys's seed catalogue is a handy thing to order up. make good use of the open sunny spots in the yard. start seedlings in the house. If you like tomatoes, try some old varieties like Bonny Best and Scotian. my mother lives in Northern New Brunswick and she had tomatoes in July, and lot of them. she also grew beans, peas, peppers, brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, turnips, potatoes, strawberries, raspberries, onions, chard, etc. All you have to do is pay attention to the varieties and adapt a little bit....no problem.
    I live in halifax, and tomatoes are a challenge.....not enough summer heat, and the dampness is hell for blight....but i stick to some old heirloom varieties that are resistant, and i've gotten the hang of it at last.

• shellhunter
    15 years ago

Hi rkeirn ~
    Which village/town/city did you move to in NB? Don_Brown is right: you can grow almost anything (except tropicals of course) and have great success in your garden if you follow Vesey's Seed suggestions. Good luck this coming growing season!
    I live in Grande-Digue...maybe we are neighbours?
    ShellHunter

• tcskitten
    15 years ago

Hi folks!!

Just wondering what your favourite "sweet" cherry tomatoe is to grow?

I like to grow the on my patio.... great treat when reading the latest Fine gardening mag...:)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville