Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplant a nine bark

Posted by jkeithsr (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 10:37

I have a nine bark bush that's being squeezed by a pine tree. I'd like to move the bush. It's height is 4 - 5 ft.
Do I wait for dormancy? Cut it back? Any ideas and comments would be appreciated. Climate zone 5. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplant a nine bark

• Posted by TReRe Calgary, AB Zone 3A/ (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 13:18

I'm zone 3, transplanted my Diablo in the spring it had already started to leaf out a little bit. it slept for about 3 weeks after but finished leafing out beautifully. I kept it evenly moist at first and then continued with deep waterings throughout the growing season. I dug wide, used Mykes for the roots and amended the spot it went to with compost. I would definitely wait for dormancy whether it be fall or early spring. You can just cut it back but I find for me they grow quickly, so depends if your okay with the upkeep. I like to transplant in the spring so I can keep watch until it regrains vigor, but winter here can be treacherous so your your call!

o

I'm planning to move a large viburnum. The nursery said it would be better to wait until spring before the leaves come out. If I wanted to move in the fall, he told me to wait until the leaves were off but he really thought I should wait until spring.

o

I have three ninebarks and although they were still alive this season, they have not done really well. We have a light sandy soil; I'm wondering if they are heavier feeders and need more compost. They definitely need alot more water than other shrubs and they let you know it. They're like drama queens; the minute they lack moisture, the leaves begin to droop. Looking for feedback from others. also interested in knowing what other varieties of trees and shrubs do well in Calgary. Our climate is similar with more snow coverage, not as many chinooks. I noticed many different ornamental trees and shrub when driving through but no time to check out. Any suggestions?

o

I grow several varieties of ninebarks, I like them but also find them very drought tolerant. Here in the Okanagan on sandy soil, very hot summers and no irrigation water for me. They really hang in there when it's dry. Interesting how plants can act so differently in different areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ninebark Shrubs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here