Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant & Tree Care

Posted by learning_2007 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 11:59

I have a Purple Heart and it is growing great now because it is outside in a planter. Can I bring it inside to keep it growing or plant it in the ground outside? I'm looking for more information on this plant.

Second I have a Cork Screw Hazel and looking for more information about it and how to take care of it.

Both are new this year!!

Last of all where do I find a zoning map of what zone I am in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant & Tree Care

If the plant in the link below is what you have, you will need to bring it in or take cuttings. It is a tropical plant and cannot take frost.

Cork Screw Hazel will grow in sun or semishade in average soil. There is a disease affecting Hazels that is spreading throughout North America, affected trees have cankers on their bark and branches die. There is no treatment for it other than to cut out the affected branches.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/filbertblight.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Heart

o
RE: Plant & Tree Care

The best place to find a zone map is the National Resources Canada website...

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/environment/land/planthardi

That should help you :) It's a zoomable map. If you're in the States, I guess go to your country's quivalent website, and hopefully it has something similar!

Good luck with the Corkscrew Hazel, those are beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here