Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
somebetty

bringing the houseplants back in

somebetty
19 years ago

Well summer is over and its time to bring in the houseplants..summer went just to fast for me... any suggestions on how to be sure that they arent bringing in anything they shouldnt.

Comments (9)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    19 years ago

I always spray mine down with raid and quarantine them for a couple of weeks. It usually works.......

• somebetty
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks laurie will be sure to spray them then,,, do I need to keep them in a bag or somethng like that.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    19 years ago

Putting them in a garbage bag for a couple of hours after spraying would probably help, that's if the plant will fit inside. Most of my plants are too large for this, so I just spray them down well outside and let them drip off and air out for a few hours before bringing them inside. I suppose using an insecticidal soap would work too and would be less smelly as well.

With the summer we've had on the prairies, I brought my houseplants back in at the beginning of August! So far I haven't seen any bugs on them.

Good luck,
    Laurie

• chris_ont
    19 years ago

I just realized that some of mine are covered in mealy bugs! Drat! Will raid take care of those creatures?

C.

• don_brown
    19 years ago

chris, you might want to swab the visible mealy bugs with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol), and then thoroughly spray the plant with mix of one part rubbing alcohol to one part water. Make sure you throughly spray the plant, especially in all the nooks and crannies where stems fork and new sprouts are emerging because these are favourite mealy bug hang-outs. the spray will evaporate and leave no toxic residue, so you may have to repeat this a couple of times. do not spray in direct sunlight. Otherwise, it should not hurt your plants. works well for me!

• putnamgardens
    19 years ago

I just dragged mine in tonight. We've had a frost in the our lying areas. NOW the heat island is going to get it. I grieve the loss of summer. NOW I'll buy my weights worth in Tulip bulbs and think spring. Later, Love, Lisa

• dorisd
    19 years ago

My house plants have more trouble inside than outside. Inside I have problems with spider mites & white flies. How did I do I get rid of them once & for all? They just killed 2 big, beautiful poinsettias that I was planning to tuck away until November.

• shapiro
    19 years ago

I bring in LOTS of houseplants for the winter. Usually, about 2 or 3 days before the first frost. Have to admit that I am too lazy to spray them all, but I do give them a bath with a hose and hope for the best. Have rarely had any trouble. Mind you, most of my houseplants are of the "cast-iron" variety. With a few exceptions, they are the type of plant that can take a fair amount of neglect.

• Julie
    19 years ago

Hi Doris,
    There are systemic chemicals sold in garden centers, going by diferent names, that will kill the larval stage of the white fly. You add it to the dirt and the plants will absorb it. It takes a while for them to all die out, but they will. This type of chemical is toxic and will harm any non plant life. If you have kritters or children that will play with the dirt, or eat the plants, this is not advised. It should take care of the mites also. I have found with mites alone, a simple dish soap suds dunk to be very effective. It might take a time ot two though...
    I wonder if the pests forum would have better suggestions...
    Good luck to you!
    Julie