Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Hibiscus?

Posted by HENRYSLAWEK 5A5B (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 04 at 14:07

I grow them from seeds the first time. The foilage is very attractive, glossy and fringed(?) but no flowers yet.
They are about 2+ feet. The person with whom I exchanged seeds (over here) told me that the plants are also called "winter poinsettia". What I see from photos in this forum none of those plants' leaves look like mine. They seem to be more round like Mellow. Mine are different, sort like Japanese Maple. Maybe this is perennial and will not bloom the first year?
Please help me to id it and any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Henry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Hibiscus?

Does it look like this? If so, then it's a rose of sharon, which is related to the hibiscus and I think is a bit hardier.

-Audric

o

NO, it doesn't look like that. The leaves are very narrow. It does not look like a Hibiscus at all. And the brunches are NOT woody like Hibiscus. I wish I had a scanner...goshhhh.

o

Audric, I found it on the Hibiscus Forum thanks to one of the members who posted a pic of that plant. It is "Hibiscus Coccineus". Any idea if would survive in z5ab?
Thanks,
Henry

o

Hey Henry..I'm up by Cornwall. I'm a firm believer that you can keep almost anything alive with enough straw! Your Hibuscus is a marsh plant from the southern US. Lotsa straw! Lotsa water. It'll get taller than you then bloom..lotsa blooms..falling all over trying to reach that low sun of ours.This one is worth the effort..when it blooms..WOW!! Good luck to you!
You can make pansies a perennial with a nice straw blanket..they will seed and turn into big patches of color..say ice blue..goes great with the daffy's!
I used to grow hybrid roses up here..but those nice high piles of straw put the mole population in overload and they ate the roses. I didn't have trouble with them where the straw was just a foot or so thick...watch for mole holes!
:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here