Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thyme ground cover dying

Posted by zucchini 5a ONT (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 15:36

I live in Canada North of Toronto Zone 5a
My front lawn is all thyme...It was here when we bought this house..it was beautiful and full growing in lovely little
mounds..since last summer there are many bald patches, they start off brown and turn bald. There is a lot of grass growing in the time, and I try to pull out the grass..Not
sure what to do now in October as I would love to see it
in full beautiful bloom again next year..
any tips??
cheers, zucchini near Georgian Bay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thyme ground cover dying

I'm going to guess that the oldest plants have gotten choked out or just too old. You can get more thyme plants by layering, partially cover the plants with soil. Where the stems tough the ground, they'll put down roots. Suggest you dig out oldest plants and grass so it can rejuvenate. I would add some compost.

o
RE: Thyme ground cover dying

Unfortunately thyme plants do get old and start to brown from their center. This also depends on the type of thyme. Wooley thyme is probably the best as it is very dense and little else can get through. If you have grass growing up in your tyhme you will never be able to really dig it all out. I don't mean to sound like a pessimist but you might be faceing a do over. This type of application is often nice for a couple of year but then falls apart. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here