Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Pots?

Posted by mikomum (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 15:45

I have the most beautiful large pots of false dracena and silver licorice vine this year. I generally overwinter my large dracena and some geraniums in my studio (kept at about 15 degrees most of the winter but it does have short bursts of heat when I run my kiln)Would I be able to overwinter these as well? I really don't want to take up the space if their chances aren't good or they die right back. Thanks so much for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Pots?

I've overwintered the licorice last winter and it turned out okay. It's going strong now and i'll bring it in again.

o

thanks so much! Hopefully we don't get frost for a few more weeks so I can keep enjoying them!

o

I know with my dahlias I water them lightly and put them in the crawl space under the kitchen. It stays down about 5-10 degrees there. Last year, I carefully cleaned and bagged each one. This year, I think I will just put the whole pot down there, with a thick layer of wood chips on it ito keep it from drying out.

The problem with many plants is to run that edge between 'do I keep it growing all winter' and 'do I force it into dormancy' The former means it will start up faster in the spring. The latter is needed for some plants, and generaly requires less care.

As an idea for you, build some shelves for them in the studio so you can keep them out of the way.

o

Hi, I'm new here. I love gardening. I live in Langdon, AB. I have a question, I just purchased 3 fall shrubs ( viburnum opulus roseum, viburnum dentatum arrowwood, and forsythia ) I have plan to plant them in the backyard which still under construction ( build the fence and still half way done ) so, for now until next spring I have to place them in the temporary flower bed, what is the best thing to do ? can I overwinter shrubs on container ? Can I just bury the whole container with its plant until next spring ? Help me please , thanks so much . Ina

Here is a link that might be useful: Family Adventure

o

Yes, bury the whole container. I've done this with many things and always had them survive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here