Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicago Hardy Fig - what to do for winter

Posted by UkuleleLady none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 17:20

Hi there,
I have a detached garage which I think gets pretty cold (Ontario) as it's unheated, so I'm not sure if that's safe for my fig tree. This is it's first season, almost 3 feet tall, with a few fig buds on it. I've read that it's not good to bring it indoors. Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicago Hardy Fig - what to do for winter

There is a radio garden program from California, Farmer Fred. He has a blog and web site and radio program as I mentioned. Why I mention him to you Ukulele Lady is that he has had a program on fruit tasting recently ANd figs in particular I didn't know there where so many figs in existence.
If you put Farmer Fred on your internet yu might be able to find the program Was interesting reading and his show is very good.
Did you pick your name, by chance form a Bette Middler song called Ukulele lady. Is one of my favourite songs.

I am in Ontario as well Barrie. ANd have an unheated garage I do keep my chrysanthemums in there and some other things that will overwinter
Some things do make it in there and others do not Dahlias and Canna lily for sure do not
I always plan every fall to put the big pots in there and make an enclosure within the garage to maybe give a few more degrees of warmth but never get around to doing so.

o
RE: Chicago Hardy Fig - what to do for winter

I have a Chicago Hardy Fig. I live in Plattsburgh NY, zone 4b to 5. I overwintered mine in my unheated basement last year. It is an old house with a stone basement. My fig did great down there. I probably brought it out too early. I noticed it had fat leaf buds in early April and brought it up to my sunroom. I had mites on the leaves by the time I could safely move it outside. Next year I will keep it in the dark a couple of more weeks. Hope this helps, and good luck,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here