Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root maggots

Posted by zodiac Z2b QC (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 05 at 20:00

I have a problem with root maggots in my green onions and carrots. This is the 2nd year I plant my garden, but the first time I plant green onions. I have researched a bit and have already heard that I could try ashes to treat the soil. I have been seriously thinking of starting over (digging up my entire garden area and putting down a fresh load of black earth as well as manure and fertilizer). Any chance that this could eliminate the root maggots as well or will they come back (let's say I don't get all of the affected soil dug up?)

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root maggots

No, it won't work. Root maggots are the larvae of a fly that will come back and lay its eggs in whatever soil you have in that spot. Try crop rotation and floating row covers.

o

I kind of figured that they would come back because of the damn fly. I wonder why my neighbors don't have the same problem. Our gardens are separated by a simple wooden fence and they had plenty of onions planted right next to it. Their garden has been established for years.

My garden area is quite small (I can barely use an entire packet of seeds when I plant) so I doubt that rotating will be very effective. What about wood ashes, how effective are they really? As for ground covers, I've read up about it but I'm still not sure about how to do it. I'd need to see a few really good pics (I'm a visual person).

Anyone know of any products available in Canada for this type of problem?

o

I wet the row with a mixture of vinegar and water for onions before planting. No maggots in my onions. Haven't tried it on carrots tho'.I am from central alberta.

o

I plant onion sets just deep enough so as the tips are sticking out of the ground. When the plants have begun to nicely established themselves, the soil is carefully pulled away to the base of the bulbs, yes some of them will then flop, though most will soon right themselves. We never again have had maggots in the onions when using this method. This also works quite well for turnips.

Terrance

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here