Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reet59_gw

Winnipeg (or similar climate) advice sought after

reet59
18 years ago

I'm living in Winnipeg and noticed that the weather network predicts +5s at night this week, followed by some nicer weather again. Are any other Winnipeggers or those in similar climates scrambling to bring plants inside so soon? I have several Brugmansia trees that are less than 1 week from EXPLODING in flowers, and if I can get away with it, I will.. any thoughts or suggestions would be hugely appreciated!!!

Comments (3)

• glen3a
    18 years ago

The cooler forecast has me a bit concerned because even if we don't get frost this week, it's coming soon and I really haven't started to bring anything in or making cuttings of plants, etc. Sept 21 is the average date for the first frost. It's just been too warm and summer like and hard to get into the autumn frame of mind.

I have a tropical hibiscus that I keep on the deck for the summer and overwinter indoors. I realize each plant is different, but I find it's more cold tolerant than they say. One source said it can't tolerate temperatures below 10C/50F, at the very least it might lose it's blossoms, but last fall mine survived much colder temperatures and seemed fine. As long as it doesn't freeze, I think to myself, which might mean covering it with a blanket if frost threatens until I can find time to transplant it and bring it indoors.

I also have to bring in my geraniums, some impatiens but will wait until after frost. It just seems a shame to dig things out when they are blooming at their best. If frost threatens I will just cover to protect individual plants until I can find time to dig them out.

I am definitely keeping an eye on the forecast. The coolest they are calling for is 5C/41F on Wed night. That's okay if that holds, but sometimes they have a habit of suddenly changing the forecast to say something like "low 2C, risk of frost in low lying areas". It's definitely cool in Alberta and that usually comes our way, but the one good thing might be it's more a Westerly airflow, instead of a strong north wind.

Glen

• jroot
    18 years ago

My brugs are loaded as well, but I am in a warmer zone than you. However, if the temperature is going down to +5 or lower, I will be tempted to cover the plant during the night (just in case). There seems to be a warm front coming in behind the cold front and it sure will be nice to see those flowers that we waited so long to see.

I might also be tempted to take a cutting (just in case) from the back of the plant.

I believe I have 11 different species of brugs here, and don't want to lose any. I do have some repeats of some of those, but I sure want to keep the mama plants.

• glen3a
    18 years ago

Well it went down to 4C/39F so that was probably the coldest so far this fall. But, it's suppose to be a fairly nice weekend in the low 20's Celcius (low 70's F). Not quite as great as last weekend when it hit 29c/84F, but not bad for this time of year.

So, might even be nice enough to sit outside and admire your brugs.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES