Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Perennial plants

Posted by punky36 Z5B CA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 04 at 3:37

Is it wise to prune or cut right down my perennial plants in the Fall or Spring. Last year I was told to wait until Spring, however, when Spring came I had a major task to clean the garden, as everything was mush. My problem is that I don't know which ones must be cut when. I do know that my Clematis waits for Spring as well as the grasses. Other than those I really am not certain. I think I would rather cut everything now as we are having a few warm days. I have purchased some more bulbs to be planted soon. I will have a large task when the ground freezes to prepare my roses for our frigid winter, Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Punky.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Perennial plants

I prefer to wait until spring to cut things down. Leaving the foliage up helps protect many things from winter-kill. Anything that was diseased or is prone to fungal diseases is better cut down and cleaned up - peonies and monarda for example (peonies because of botrytis and Monarda because of powdery mildew). Some things, daisies for example, produce basal rosettes of new foliage so those can be cut down to the rosette. Experiment to see what works for you but the colder the climate you're in, the more protoction things might need. Do you mulch?

o

I use this rule of thumb: if it is a "Woody" perennial, then you'd best wait til spring (tough stemmed, with hollow core). If the stems are totally dry and fall away easily, then by all means prune the dead stuff away now.
Just make sure you know where you have stuff planted so you don't end up digging in a wrong area next spring!!!

o

The term "woody perennial" refers to one that actually forms "wood", rather than dying to the ground each year, as herbaceous perennials do. To explain further, the stems remain alive, the same as the branches of a hardy tree or shrub do. (It has nothing to do with whether the stems are tough or hollow.)
The reason one would wait until spring to cut back woody perennials is to avoid unnecessarily cutting off any stems that may otherwise have survived the winter. In spring, it becomes obvious after a certain time which stems suffered some winterkill, and which didn't, and then the dead portions can be pruned off.

o

You could leave seed pods on for the winter birds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here