Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tingling Weed

Posted by Brian_Ouimet 5 Ont (brian.ouimet@cogeco.ca) on
Fri, Oct 7, 05 at 6:29

Hi

Was picking weeds yesterday and one of them left my fingers tingling with pins and needles. Still a little of the same feeling today. Does anyone know the name of this weed. Thanks.

Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tingling Weed

Stinging nettle, most likely.

o

Thats it and I keep picking it up without gloves on.It takes a few hours before the tingling stops. Pain in the neck lol.
bren

o

Stinging nettle has long been attributed with medicinal properties and can be made into teas or used in other ways.
Here's a page with receipes including Nettle Wine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nettle info

o

Stinging Nettles are a favorite part of my spring rituals!I go to great lengths to find and gather stinging nettle, not only to dry for tea and hair rinse, but also to blanch and freeze for winter greens. Loses it's sting when dried and/or cooked, have a wonderful robust texture and spincah/like flavor. They are loaded with vitamins & iron!! Try them with a little balsamic vinegar. I bet they will become one of your favorite vegetables!

Of course you need to wear gloves to pick them, use the new shoots, up to 6" tall or just the top new leaves of slightly older plants. If you do get stung, the nettle plant itself is the antidote. Scrunch up several leaves and rub on the sting, it will soon ease. Natives here in Alaska traditionally used stinging nettle to ease the pain of arthritis. There is an ancient abandoned Tklinget Indian village about a 20 minute skiff ride from me in Southeast Alaska that has about a 3 acre spot near the beach that is thick with nettles. That is where I go to gather them, I imagine they were planted there on purpose because they are rather scarce otherwise in my area. Wherever you find them growing you'll find really fertile soil. If you want to grow your own, the roots transplant easily - but grow them in containers or they'll become invasive.

You didn't ask for all that, but you got it! (:

o

I am in kake Alaska (southeast). I have been trying to get hold of some fresh stinging nettles.I read above someone collected some before. could you please let me know this vicinity. I would very much appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here