Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shapiro_gw

Storing tubers

shapiro
18 years ago

This year, I grew the beautiful Salvia Patens Oxford Blue - and since this is a tender perennial that develops a tuber, it seems one can store the tubers for next year. The recommended storage temperature is about 45 degrees Farenheit. There is nowhere in my house at this temp - has anyone had experience storing tubers (like dahlias, for instance) in a refrigerator? My basement "beer fridge" would have some space available. If possible, please describe the storage conditions: what medium used, damp or dry, what type of bag (with/without air holes?) Thank you very much!

Comments (5)

• MAD4U
    18 years ago

Hello Shapiro.. I always store my begonia tubers in the crawl space fpr the winter. I wash them well, dry until they are really dry, put them in peat moss and along about Feb. they will begin to have sprouts. I will then pot them up in good soil or, if you have warm weather as we have in Victoria, I will wait and pot them outside. Hope this will be of some help.By the way, I just use a brown paper bag to store them in

Here is a link that might be useful: northern gardening

• jroot
    18 years ago

I wash my begonia tubers well, let them dry, and then dust with a fungicide. Then I put them into a paper bag, set these paper bags into a cardboard box, and store in my cold cellar. I do not let them freeze. In the spring, I plant them directly into the ground when the danger of frost is over. I do the same for my gladiola bulbs.

My dahlia tubers are washed carefully, trimmed, cut so there is an eye or two per tuber, dusted in fungicide, wrapped in saran wrap, labeled, placed into bags, and then into cardboard boxes, and also place them in the cold cellar. In about April, I bring these out, lay them on a damp bed of potting soil, and place under lights or in a sunny window. When they start to sprout, I pot them up. Not all tubers have eyes, and in the fall they are sometimes difficult to see. (no pun intended). Check out the dahlia forum as there is a lot of discussion of this. My Canna tubers, I treat similarly except that they go into my cool workroom and not the cold cellar as they cannot take the cold below 50 degrees F

• DianeKaryl
    18 years ago

The dusting is a good idea and if you are going to use the refrigerator, then washing them and letting them dry is also.

Your fridge is an ideal place....and you can set the temp...35 to 50 degrees fahrenheit. 2 - 10 Celsius.

Now whether you can place them into a crisper ...with fruit or vegetables is another story. Bulbs normally you cant do that....gives off a gas which would destroy both.

If you use a bag, ensure you keep it open to circulate air.
    Your refrigerator would have to be indoors if you intend to use it throughout winter. Out in the garage, such a fridge could be damaged if the outside environment was too cold for the fridge to operate properly.

• oxfordblue
    18 years ago

Hi Shapiro -- hope you're out there! I thought oxford blue was stunning (guess my user name gives that away), stored the tubers AND collected seed. The tubers were totally dry when I planted them in pots under grow lights in the basement about a month ago. Now they seem to have developed mold! I collected about 100 seeds and have only five seedlings to show for it. How did it go for you? Can't find a package of seeds this year and have never seen the plant at the Humber nursery . . .so sad!

• northerner_on
    17 years ago

Hi Shapiro:
    I try to save time whenever I can and I have been storing dahlias, begonias, tube roses, and oxalis this way for several years. I grow all these in pots. I just cut off the foliage, withhold water, and store the entire pot in my basement. In about mid-April, I bring them up to a south-facing window, water them and they just grow again beautifully. Just today, I put mine outdoors - the oxalis is in full bloom, the dahlias are in bud, and the tube roses and begonias are fully developed. The only ones I dig and store are my gladiolas - I just dig them, cut off the tops and keep them open in a styrofoam flat. They seem smaller from year to year, but still produce beautiful flowers. I don't use fungicide or anything like that and it works like a charm. Sure cuts down on the work.
    Northerner in Ontario.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets