Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maureen1953

What's still blooming in your yard?

So far we have avoided a killing frost here in zone 4 Central New York and are enjoying the late bloomers. Here's my list...what's yours?

Rugosa Roses, purple coneflower, goldenrod, asters, begonias, hardy hibiscus, chives, monkshood (gorgeous!), stella doro daylily, malva sylvestris zebrina, obedient plant, veronica, violas, phlox, verbena, oregano alyssum, pelargoniums, clematis Jackmannii, black eyed susans, hydrangea AnnaBelle, blue flax, Japanese anemone Robutissima, lobelia, sunflower, browallia...and it's October 4th!

Comments (18)

• chris_ont
    19 years ago

Zinnias, some of the black eyed susan, asters, stone crop sedum here and there, autumn joy sedum, monkshood, dahlias, stella, cardinal flower (just about done), coreopsis baby sun, butterfly bush (barely), nasturtiums, morning glory, four o'clocks, moonflower (datura), zagrev.

• ingami
    19 years ago

Asters, sedums, verbascum, malva, lobelia ( annual )
    dianthus, helianthus ( perennial ) gaura, verbena bon. ( so called verbena on a stick ) annual allysum, although it's getting tired, veronica, some of the coreopsis, a few calif. poppies that escaped the frost, clematis "Radar Love", some bidens that self sowed ( survived by hiding under some bergenia ) quite a few things, which is amazing-

• don_brown
    19 years ago

Canna, nicotiana, brugmansia, datura, hibiscus mosheutos, amaranthus, buddleia, a couple of roses, hyacinth bean, nasturtiums.....pretty amazing really......

• wsw_michigan
    19 years ago

Oct 10 now and plenty still soldiering on...marigolds (really rocking! They go right to hard freeze for me...), zinnias, double yellow datura, Sunflowers - branching varieties like Moulin Rouge and Autumn Harvest, stella d'oros, dahlias (gorgeous!!), silphium (gorgeous and prolific!), impatiens (getting awfully weary, though!), balsam impatiens, morning glories, dusty miller (OK, they don't "bloom", but I still appreciate their continued silvery white), purple and white alyssum, purple osteosporum, cannas...it really seems like an extended season this year!! Enjoy, all!

• Konrad___far_north
    19 years ago

Dandelion have popt up again!

• brendall
    19 years ago

Strangest thing is the California Poppy (I snuck the seeds in from California) is still beautiful.My husband said it wouldnt grow here but its doing great.I dont think it will last through the winter.I will try my best to protect it.My hydranga is still nice but all other plants were annuals so they are finished.

• Julie
    19 years ago

The foxglove (foxy strain) are still beautiful! No stress showing from repeated frosts. I started them from seed last winter and have been quite pleased with the number of blooming plants this summer and fall! I am expecting even more next year! My fernleaf bleeding hearts are still putting out new blooms as are the cosmos, malvas, phlox, lamium, forget-me-nots, mums, crystal palace lobelia, flamingo feather celosia and my silly datura (double black currant swirl metal) don't know when to quit! Most have lost all of their leaves to frost, but are still pumping out blooms!
    This is an unusual year for blooms. But I am not complaining! I like to see them yet.

Julie

• diane_nny
    19 years ago

Not much here: yarrow, campanula, Alma Potschke asters, hydrangeas. that's it! Oh, and Johnny-Jump-Ups.

• bonsai_audge
    19 years ago

Not much at all. One yellow chrysanthemum, lamiums (Beacon Silver and White nancy) and possibly some pot marigolds.

-Audge

• Sammie_540
    19 years ago

I have a Coral Canyon Twinspur that I planted this year still blooming heartedly while most everything else has died. It will be interesting to see how it makes it through the winter. My violas refuse to give in to winter despite the fact it has snowed. Some are more protected than others. The same is true for daisys although they are in the open.

• ingami
    19 years ago

Don't even ask. Snow here, and just last week I was out still picking my own celery.

• clairdo2
    19 years ago

{{!gwi}}

I was pretty proud of my rock garden this summer, but now that the snow has arrived, it is not so appealing. Hope you enjoy.

• clairdo2
    19 years ago

{{!gwi}}

My phlox look pretty good too.

• clairdo2
    19 years ago

Here is a pic of my mountain ash in Sept.

• glen3a
    19 years ago

Claire that's very pretty tree. I always wanted a sorbus (mtn ash) but would need the columnar upright one in my small yard.

Not much blooming in my yard, but I did see a few pansy's still blooming and some snapdragons. I think the honey suckle vine might have the odd bloom as well.

Actually, as more trees/shrubs lose their leaves, I am inpressed with things that hold onto their leaves such as clematis. Because it's been a longer than usual fall, things like my apple tree have turned a brillant yellow leaves as well (some years the green leaves freeze on the tree if winter hits early.)

• clairdo2
    19 years ago

Hi my sister has roses that just came out after snow and -10 degrees. Has anyone else have this happen or is it a miracle?

• jroot
    19 years ago

I was out yesterday, and discovered Night Scented Stock blooming away like crazy.
    {{!gwi}}

Also, there is a small piddly rose trying to bloom. The Datura got hit big-time last night.

• MAD4U
    19 years ago

Global Warming??You betcha. My neighbor's camelia has started to bloom and my rose's are still in bloom. I planted the spring bulbs and they are peeking through the soil. I am thinking I either planted them too soon or not deep enough.Lotsa other stuff still in bloom too

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting