Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut Red Hot Pokers back for winter?

Posted by jaguar325 MN (4a) (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 6, 09 at 11:35

We have mostly herbaceous plants and are preparing for the annual pre-winter cut-back of our garden. Something new we added this summer is a patch of Red Hot Poker (Kniphofias) surrounded by Sedum Angelina. I know the Sedum are not meant to be cut back, but what about the Kniphofias? Are they like Daylillies, where they can be cut back (to maybe 1" off the ground) and still come back fully in spring? I've seen some reference to tying them up and leaving the foliage on all winter but the place I have them would not be conducive to doing this.

Thanks,

Big K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut Red Hot Pokers back for winter?

hi jaquar

i would leave them with alot of protection...
they are a zone 5 plant at best...maybe zone 6...
good luck

diggy

o
RE: Cut Red Hot Pokers back for winter?

I agree with "diggy". If you cut them back, they will most likely die over the winter. Can you dig them up and put them in your garage or basement for the winter? Alternatively, you could tie the leaves up and mulch them very well with compost, leaves, branches, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here