Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Planting -- too late?

Posted by mitzu Zone 2-3 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 26, 06 at 13:47

Hi...I ordered perennials for Fall planting and they just arrived yesterday. Here in Timmins, Ontario we already had frost...right now temperatures being 5 degrees celcius and -4 celcius overnight (on average). Am I too late to plant? Some of my perennials are: windflowers, astiblles, geranium, giant snowball bush, raspberries.

What so I do if it is too late to plant?

Thanks for you help.

Gloria

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Planting -- too late?

Gloria, it is getting pretty late in the season for planting. Are these perennials in pots? Or bare root? If they're bare root, then I doubt they would make the winter being planted outside. If they're potted, then they may have a chance outside. If it were me in your shoes, I'd plant them up and keep them inside for the winter. I'm doing that with some iris and daylilies now. They're in a sunny window and doing fine. Or another possibility, would be to pot them up and stick them in a cold room, or fridge for the winter. They would have a much better shot at surviving cool temperatures, versus -40 temperatures outside.

Laurie

o

• Posted by mitzu Zone 2-3 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 26, 06 at 18:45

Hi Laurie....the perennials are in bags...with bottomless kind-of pots. The snowball bush is in a bag...root ball? as well as the raspberry. I do have a cold room and a cold porch. In the porch they'd get light, but not in the cold room. Which is better?

Thanks for your help ...I really appreciate it!

Gloria

o

As long as they're dormant, they won't need any light. I would pick the colder of the two, unless your porch goes down below freezing. Probably the ideal temperature would be a degree or two above freezing. Would either place offer that?

o

Hello Ladies,

I'm new to this forum, but I do have a suggestion that may be useful to you.

I've planted perennials/roses in late Oct/Nov. and they survived nicely - better that I expected. Here's what I did:

Came across a clearance sale at a garden centre in October and bought about 20 roses and a few spireas. Now, these were all proven hardy varieties for our area (zone 4b/5a NB). All were in 1 or 2 gallon black plastic pots. Brought them home, dug a deep trench (about 30 cm) in my garden and planted them, pots and all, in the trench. Backfilled all the soil, then added more soil so that I had a little mounded row and the soil covered the pot tops up to the branches. Once the leaves were all gone, I mulched them with straw, almost covering the entire plant/bush. They stayed snug and warm (or cold?) in their temporary home and every one of them bloomed this year. Of course, I redistributed them to better locations in the spring. We even had a very open winter (almost no snow cover), but they survived nicely.

I've also overwintered extra perennials this way - plant the pots right in the garden. Works great! Keep in mind, I've only done this with things I know are hardy here, though. Hope this will help and good luck.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 29, 06 at 10:02

I've done the same as Balsam with potted plants and also had success, however Gloria's plants are not potted. I would suggest the same as Laurie (and curse the place that sent them so late - hope they were an excellent sale!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here