Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcnotashark

Domestic House Plants

McNotashark
18 years ago

Hello all,

I am looking for house plants that originate in Canada. I don't like the idea of having tropical plants in my house, I would like to reflect where I am and where I come from in the decor of my house. African violets, palm trees and tropical plants like that just don't reflect that. Does any one know of any "domestic" house plants? Or a website that lists where specific house plants originated?

Thank you

McNotashark

Comments (2)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I'll take a stab at noting that most plants designated as "houseplants" are those that can grow and/or thrive in a household environment, which is generally warm, dry, and not very luminous year round. Plants that developed in that environment tend to be tropical evergreen understory plants that may not go dormant... or if they do, they do so based on a "wet" and "dry" season or based on day length.

The one plant that I see commonly sold as a houseplant that can grow outside in temperate climates is English ivy. There are a number of cultivars, particularly the minature or "needlepoint" and minature variegated forms and even those can be grown outside in moderate to warm temperate areas (with protection in colder spots). There are some cold hardy gardenias that could, once established, do well in the warmer temperate areas if protected, but can also be grown inside as a "houseplant". Another temperate that can be potted and possibly grown indoors is Passiflora incarnata ("maypop"), as I know from my experience with both the temperate and tropical passies that I have, they can do fine inside in winter in a container, with some eye on controlling their normal rampant growth. If sufficient light is given to them inside, they will even bloom (my Passiflora belotti does).

Also, there are many sedums, temperate agaves, and even temperate cactii that will grow outside year round in temperate climates and can be successfully grown indoors under household environments. The native prickly pear cactus (eg., Opuntia humifusa, etc) is one that comes to mind and the popular "Hens and Chicks" is another.

Don't know of a specific website that discusses origins of common houseplants, but you might be able to go to the Houseplants Forum to see if anyone there knows of one.

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Jenny's right. A plant that is adapted to growing outside in Canada, won't like it inside the house, if it survives at all. The evnironment is HUGELY contrasting, just like you wouldn't expect a tropical plant that will grow inside to survive outside year round in Canada. However, there are some tropicals that can pass as temperate look alikes. Like Pittosoporum tobira and related species, tropical or warm temperate evergreens (like some Cupressus or Podocarpus species), maybe a coffee tree. Anything that is rated zone 8-10 could be worth a try.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths