Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alyssasnanny

Overwintering canna lily rhizomes

alyssasnanny
13 years ago

Hi all;

I`m new to gardenweb. I`m a little confused about the proper way to overwinter canna lilys. One, I`m confused about the wet/dry thing and the other is what the heck do you do if you can`t do the optimum temperature? Sorry this is going to be long winded. My garage is too cold water will freeze in mid winter. My basement is too warm I think approx. mid to high 60s. I understand they should be stored at 50? Also I was told by my garden centre to wrap in newspaper and burlap and just leave it in the garage (the cold would not hurt it) till next spring, do not water because they will rot. Looking at other sites this is what I did: Removed from ground last week after some frost and light snow. removed soil, cut off stems then washed with water, put on newspaer to dry for 2 days. (They felt a little bit spongey!?) Put in a cardboard box lined with newspaper covered with peatmoss lightly spritzed peatmoss with water covered with newspaper and put under my basement stairs where it is dark. Assuming I haven`t already killed them how often should I check them and spritz them with water. Is the freezing garage a better idea?

Thanks to all

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner