Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadow_z3

Bamboo Trees in Mantoba, Canada

shadow_Z3
19 years ago

I would like to know if there are any type of bamboo trees that can be grown in zone 3?

Comments (9)

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    19 years ago

I believe the hardiest bamboo can pull out of -25C (Fargesia nitida - Mountain bamboo). That would be a cold snap of short duration, perhaps a day or two. I think your out of luck in Manitoba.

Cheers, Barrie.

• glen3a
    19 years ago

There was talk recently (Aug 2004) on this in the Minnesota Gardening forum. I have attached the link.

Basically, it confirms as Barrie says, that the Fargesia nitida is probably the hardiest and from reading the link, it sort of sounds like even in zone 4 it needs mulching and might not make it.

What height of bamboo did you need? Maybe there is another plant that could substitute?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy bamboo discussion

• abgardeneer
    19 years ago

The taller ornamental grasses can substitute for bamboo-like plants (at least as well as we can manage in our cold zones, anyway). Have you already explored these?

• leftwood
    19 years ago

Rick here from the Minnesota forum. I'll bet if you're willing to use a mountain of mulch over winter, you could get F. nitida to survive. I am thinking 3-4 feet after it settles, and a material that stays airy like straw, hay or shredded leaves. I use to know someone down here that grew Arundo donax that way.

Have you thought about Rhamnus frangula 'Asplenifolia' as a substitute?

• shadow_Z3
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks a bunch everyone! I may try F.nitida next year if I am willing to do some extra work. Have a great day!

• mapleleaf01
    19 years ago

I think I have a Nerine or Guernsey lily, actually I have a 12" pot full, they`ve never flowered since I got them last year but look quite healthy. I kept them in the basement last winter, out again in the spring now I`m wondering if they are worth the space!

• wendylee_gw
    19 years ago

Hi I have seen a bamboo growing in 2 large outside cement city planters in Calgary downtown -outside of a restaurant. I was so surprised to see them. I will go back and see if I can get the name....it get 40 below here

• abgardeneer
    19 years ago

WendyLee,
    The cedars that businesses in Calgary try to grow in pots outside rarely make it through the winter, so I'd be real surprised if any kind of bamboo does, LOL! At what restaurant or approximate area of the downtown did you see it? I'd be interested in swinging by next week and taking a look...
    Thanks,
    Lori

• kellyrae
    19 years ago

Hi
    I received Moso seeds ( phyllostachys pubescens )- giant timber bamboo from a trader in Romania. Like I have room for a bamboo "forest"!!
    Anyway,
    I've done a "bit" of research on it and am going to try some in containers this year. Any idea how hardy this one is or how to grow it?
    And, if anyone would like some seeds to try, just let me know.
    Kelly

Sponsored