Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Bulb

Posted by CocolallaKids 2a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 04 at 22:21

I have enormous bulbs I dug up from my Mother-in-laws yard. She can't remember the name. They may be some type of lily and the bulbs are about 5 inches long and 4-6 inches in diameter. Would anyone know a site that shows the actual bulb for identification? I plan to plant them in Idaho. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Bulb

If it smells strongly of onion/garlic it could be fritallia.

o

Most people (me too) find that fritillaria bulbs smell of skunk; it's allium bulbs that smell of onion/garlic.

o

You don't mention where your mother-in-law's yard is, Re:-zone.

o

Thanks everyone.
My mother in laws zone would be 9a-9b in the Santa Clara Valley in Calif.
Thanks,

o

Well, zone 9 sounds very tropical when compared to zones 2 or 3. I would avoid planting them in the ground because of the large climate differences. It could be a tropical bulb you have there! A photo I.D would be a good thing to post on the "Bulbs" forum as the people there live in various climate ranges and know a lot about different types of bulbs. Here's a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulbs Forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here