Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_n_ontario

Need a Garden Buddy from Northern Ontario...October

Debbie_N_Ontario
18 years ago

Hi everyone!

Sorry the month seems to have gotten away from me.....again! We had snow a couple of days ago, but it melted when the sun came out.

Still having a string of bad luck here and fighting with those things.

Does anyone know how to get rid of a musty smell from a couch? Still fighting that after 8 cleanings. Also still trying to get rid of the bad smell in the fridge/freezer after the plug got pulled when we were away.... Grrrr

I also have to order another microwave; 2nd one in two months has quit on us. I don't know what is going on.

The contractor is also coming over tomorrow morning around 6 a.m. to see if he can patch a leak in our roof. He has a full time job at the mine now so he is going to do it when he gets home from the mine, that is why the early hour. I told him he's practising for Santa early this year. *LOL*

Still have not been able to catch the last 2 fish in the pond and have a hose or two to put away.

The leaves have changed colour on the crabapple and are starting to fall. The cranberry tree in the back looks wonderful in it's red colour. I always forget that it will turn red in the fall and every year it is a surprise. I picked a bouquet or roses last week and really enjoyed having roses in the house so late in the year.

Have been busy trying to clean up the house the past few days for son and his family tomorrow. They are coming over for Thanksgiving dinner and I have been trying to get a lot of stuff done earlier than I have in previous years. I tell ya the older I get the harder it seems to be to cook these big meals. Because there is a little one involved I also have to kid proof the house a bit too. I think the tidying up is the hardest part though. *S*

I hope everyone is doing well and that you are all enjoying the colours of the fall.

Happy Thanksgiving!

and because we are northerners here is another *S*....

Debbie :-)

Comments (2)

• dannie
    18 years ago

Hi Debbie

Looks like the forum has been rather quiet for the last month or so. Musty smell in the couch huh.... Usually that is caused from some kind of humidity and mold... Any chance that you can put a dehumidifier next to the couch to make sure that any moisture in it is gone?

As to the fridge/freezer, we had the same thing happen to us a couple of years ago. The plug got pulled out from the wall and we lost everything in the freezer. We didn't notice until about a week after we got home so it was a mess. Hubby thankfully cleaned it up. He used javex to wash the freezer out and then it sat with baking soda in it for a few days before we started it up again. It smells fine now.

I still have my 2 fish in the pond too and tomorrow is November. I have to clean out the fish tank in the house before I can bring the fish in. Good thing we haven't had any snow as of yet.

As to gardening stuff, I haven't done a single thing this fall. Hubby took care of the leaves, the planters, the decorations, etc. Work has been totally insane and I am also putting in my application for the Principal's short list. This is the first time I have been on Gardenweb since mid-August. Life has been working and trying to sneak in enough sleep. I am almost caught up with the crazyness so I hope I will be able to post more often now.

Danni

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Danni,
    You sure sound super busy! Wow!
    Thanks for the tips! I did put the dehumidifier beside the couch for a month and kept cleaning it with the steam cleaner and it doesn't seem to smell as much now. I keep spraying it with Oust and frebreeze every once in a while too. It was the one that had been in the basement since 1988 so that is why it smelt mustly.

Hubs cleaned the fridge/freezer again last night with the bleach/soap solution but this time he didn't rinse it off, so we will see how that works.

I wish the fridge guy would of just come over and took the back off so we could of washed it or something.

Only got one trick or treater last night, our grand daughter. She was more interested in the cat and dog that treats though. *S*

The hostas have all turned yellow and the leaves have fallen off most of the trees. The birds are still coming around so I'm hoping they will stick around here during the winter.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Take care
    Debbie