Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dainty bess rose

Posted by denidill 3a Alberta (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 2, 09 at 0:55

Hi everyone,
I planted a Dainty Bess (hybrid tea rose) this year and it struggled with our very cold spring. It looked okay this fall, but it did not get very big. Since I did get a few blooms and found them incredibly beautiful, I ordered two more for next spring. Maybe this was foolish, as I don't know if they are particular hardy for Alberta. What success have you had with this rose? (I do grow tender roses and have mostly good luck with them as long as I mulch them heavily in the fall).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dainty bess rose

You might post on the Roses Forum;
lots of very knowledgeable people "over there".

o

I've been looking for roses that will grow in colder climates, too. Dainty Bess looks like it should be okay to zone 4, so if it's protected, it may do well for you.

Do you have any other roses that do well in your area? I'm in Washington State, about five miles from Idaho and we're in a particularly cold micro-climate, with -27 F. most winters. I'm always looking for good recommendations on cold hardy roses. I hope your Dainty Bess does well for you!

o

My Dainty Bess croaked last winter, it is the only rose I have lost so far.
I had it mounded with soil and mulch. When I bought it I thought it was supposed to be hardy to zone6 but decided to give it a go anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here