Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tulip bulbs

Posted by zebra1157 4a-4b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 07 at 9:45

Hi
I have a slight problem lol, I didn't have time to get all my bulbs in this fall, I have no room in the fridge for them. Would it be ok if I stored them in my basement. We have an area that is not heated down there.And how do I store them in peat or something???
Thank You
Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tulip bulbs

I'd try planting them in containers. If it's unheated down there, they should react as if they're in the ground. You can transplant them in the spring, probably after they've finished blooming.

o

Thank You marciaz3
I will try that, you are probably right about transplaning after they bloom
Debbie

o

• Posted by seacat Toronto 6b (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 28, 07 at 19:30

Hi there,

Not sure what kind of bulbs you have but you may what to double check that they can be grown in containers, not all tulip bulbs are crazy about that.

o

I have not much experience with tulips, but some will do ok in mesh bags in a cold area. (sub 30F) fr a couple months, then you can plant them as soon as the ground is workable in the Spring. They have less chance of blooming, AND they will bloom later than your fall planted tulip bulbs, though.

This from a coworker who has ad good luck ding this here in zone 5. She recommends placing them in your unheated, attached garage.

Mark-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here