Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_v_44

how goes the yard and garden preparation for winter?

diane_v_44
10 years ago

November already and I have not finished with mine
Triming garden beds, putting some large pots in the garage, unheated.
Other pots into the unheated mostly sun room. I collect bagged leaves, as long as they are dry ones from the neigbhourhood and dump them on two of my garden beds that are close to large oak trees

The oak trees take so much out of the soil, but I find that if I put a layer of several inches deep leaves over these beds, it helps the Hostas and Helliboris etc. that are in these beds to grow well.
Without the leaves it seemed to me the Oak trees take everything out of the soil
.A pond to drain yet, needs doing Lots of bits and pieces yet to do
Sometimes it seems it never ends.
But it does for me, when we get that first big snow fall, which could be any day.

Is a bit sad that I never have everything finished up, but as well I am happy that it is all done with for another season, spring time.
How is it going with some of you fellow gardeners?

Comments (6)

• xaroline
    10 years ago

As of the snow of last weekend---it is not going here.
    I am still planting bulbs!?
    The ground has not frozen solid yet.
    There is still pruning to be done and mulching too.
    Caroline

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Ug..... I never quite finished and we got hit with snow. I guess the rest will wait till spring.

SCG

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I didn't know you could ever get everything done, I never do anyway. Most of my potted daylilies never got planted so I put the pots in a wooden frame (rectangular), and we plan to cover them with a good layer of straw for the winter. I've done this before and it's worked. Problem is this year I have 2 frames, potted perennials in one and daylilies in the other. I just have to cage up the mock orange to protect them from the rabbits and tie up the forsythia hedge because if I don't the snowload drags it down. My tender bulbs are all dug. Most of the dead stalks etc. I leave up to trap the snow. The only pruning I need to do is in the spring. Spent yesterday cleaning up the water hoses and putting them away for the winter. Don't think I'll ever get caught up! Marg

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

And to think I thought I was the only one always running to beat the snow!! We had a warm front yesterday and I was out putting in bulbs, and digging out violets. I was set back by illness into September, so I was rushed anyway, but I felt we would have a couple of warm days and we did. Going below zero again tonight.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I was actually keeping up with our endless piles of oak leaves, but our ride around mower died mid-mow. We were able to use the blower to push them into huge piles, but they're covered in snow now. Oh, well. I had hoped to shred them as mulch for the flower beds. They do a great job keeping the weeds down.

Martha

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I have a cottage and my house, so always a lot of clean up. I enjoy doing it. I grow mostly edibles with perennials being a secondary concern. I try to limit them to easy to care for plants. Next year I will be adding some flowers to attract beneficial insects to pollinate the fruits I grow. I researched which flowers work best. Many more than I can possibly grow. So I will seed some annuals anywhere I can fit them in the edible garden and the perennial garden too as I have so many seeds.
    I'm really looking forward to next year as my harvest grows every year as I add new edibles, and current ones mature and are closer to full production. I enjoy gardening, but enjoy it even more when it gives back.
    At my cottage I have so many leaves I could fill a 2 car garage to the top easy! Maybe twice! I shred a lot of them, but way too many to use all of them, so I use them in low spots in the woods next to my cottage.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA