Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how goes the yard and garden preparation for winter?

Posted by diane_v_44 Z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 10:11

November already and I have not finished with mine
Triming garden beds, putting some large pots in the garage, unheated.
Other pots into the unheated mostly sun room. I collect bagged leaves, as long as they are dry ones from the neigbhourhood and dump them on two of my garden beds that are close to large oak trees

The oak trees take so much out of the soil, but I find that if I put a layer of several inches deep leaves over these beds, it helps the Hostas and Helliboris etc. that are in these beds to grow well.
Without the leaves it seemed to me the Oak trees take everything out of the soil
.A pond to drain yet, needs doing Lots of bits and pieces yet to do
Sometimes it seems it never ends.
But it does for me, when we get that first big snow fall, which could be any day.

Is a bit sad that I never have everything finished up, but as well I am happy that it is all done with for another season, spring time.
How is it going with some of you fellow gardeners?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how goes the yard and garden preparation for winter?

As of the snow of last weekend---it is not going here.
I am still planting bulbs!?
The ground has not frozen solid yet.
There is still pruning to be done and mulching too.
Caroline

o

Ug..... I never quite finished and we got hit with snow. I guess the rest will wait till spring.

SCG

o

I didn't know you could ever get everything done, I never do anyway. Most of my potted daylilies never got planted so I put the pots in a wooden frame (rectangular), and we plan to cover them with a good layer of straw for the winter. I've done this before and it's worked. Problem is this year I have 2 frames, potted perennials in one and daylilies in the other. I just have to cage up the mock orange to protect them from the rabbits and tie up the forsythia hedge because if I don't the snowload drags it down. My tender bulbs are all dug. Most of the dead stalks etc. I leave up to trap the snow. The only pruning I need to do is in the spring. Spent yesterday cleaning up the water hoses and putting them away for the winter. Don't think I'll ever get caught up! Marg

o

And to think I thought I was the only one always running to beat the snow!! We had a warm front yesterday and I was out putting in bulbs, and digging out violets. I was set back by illness into September, so I was rushed anyway, but I felt we would have a couple of warm days and we did. Going below zero again tonight.

o

I was actually keeping up with our endless piles of oak leaves, but our ride around mower died mid-mow. We were able to use the blower to push them into huge piles, but they're covered in snow now. Oh, well. I had hoped to shred them as mulch for the flower beds. They do a great job keeping the weeds down.

Martha

o

I have a cottage and my house, so always a lot of clean up. I enjoy doing it. I grow mostly edibles with perennials being a secondary concern. I try to limit them to easy to care for plants. Next year I will be adding some flowers to attract beneficial insects to pollinate the fruits I grow. I researched which flowers work best. Many more than I can possibly grow. So I will seed some annuals anywhere I can fit them in the edible garden and the perennial garden too as I have so many seeds.
I'm really looking forward to next year as my harvest grows every year as I add new edibles, and current ones mature and are closer to full production. I enjoy gardening, but enjoy it even more when it gives back.
At my cottage I have so many leaves I could fill a 2 car garage to the top easy! Maybe twice! I shred a lot of them, but way too many to use all of them, so I use them in low spots in the woods next to my cottage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here