Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barrie's first snowfall

Posted by ontariokay z5a (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 04 at 13:23

Hi all,
Barrie has witnessed its first snowfall!
It always sadness me to see summer draw to a close, but I must admit that I love the beauty of a prestine blanket of snow laying gently over my slumbering gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barrie's first snowfall

MOUNTAIN ASH IN NOV> SEE THE BIRDS EATING THE BERRIES?

o

• Posted by Dan112 S Ontario z6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 8, 04 at 21:29

Wow, that looks like quite a lot of snow. I hope it holds off for awhile more here in the Hamilton area. We still haven't gotten any days below freezing yet.. Keeps fingers crossed.

o

It is a pretty sight. Here in Winnipeg we have yet to see snow, but you know it's coming.

This may sound strange, but to me things get to a point where it almost seems warmer once it snows. The actual temperature isn't warmer, but maybe that blanket of white makes it seem warmer than the dark greens/browns of the lawn.

Or, maybe psychologically it goes from being a cold -5C autumn morning (with no snow) to being a warm -5C winter morning (because snow's on the ground).

Anyways, from a gardener's standpoint, I do hope we get some snowcover before we get severe cold.

o

Glen, you're right about snow making things seem milder. Apparently that's an actual fact, but i don't have time to look it up! I suppose that just as snow insulates the ground, it makes the cold seem less sharp.

Many times in winter, people seem to wonder why it's cold out when it's sunny. Clouds are insulators the same way snow is - therefore, it's more apt to be mild on a cloudy day and cold on a sunny day.

Remember the weather guy on CBC, Murray Parker? I remember him saying, years ago, that there reaches a certain time of year when the weather people have to stop saying "warm" and start saying "mild". This made sense to me. The Weather Network, however, don't seem to follow this practice!

o

Well the snow is gone from Barrie now and temps are back to unseasonably warm again. Weird weather we've been having, but winter's not here yet, so I'm not complaining!

o

We sure have a lot of snow now and cold temps!! Thursday was pretty bad. Work closed early and a lot of people didn't get out at all. Stores and businesses closed too. Did we get the 30 cm called for? It sure seemed like it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here