Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit flies on indoor gardenia tree

Posted by KCamilli none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 18:08

I seem to have fruit flies in my house ever since I brought my gardenia tree indoors for winter. Can anyone confirm that this happens? Also, what should I do about it? What should I spray?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit flies on indoor gardenia tree

Once you get fruit flies they are hard to get rid of. I have never totally eradicated them. Lots of great advice on the internet I'd google it....I find the old fly tapes catch piles..

Good luck

SCG

o

They are probably fungus gnats not fruit flies.No matter what they are you can use mosquito dunk bits (they sell these) to get rid of them. Exactly how to use them though is unclear. many methods are suggested,
The Mosquito Dunks product contains Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTI for short).

o

You have fungus gnats not fruit flies. Fungus gnats are easy to get rid of. The gnats only appear to mate ,lay eggs and die. They spend most of their lives under the soil. First as eggs and then as larvae eating debris in the soil and plant roots. Get rid of the eggs and larvae and the gnats soon disappear.

To get rid of the eggs and larvae mix a 1/2 teaspoon of insecticidal soap or dish soap in a quart of warm water and water the plant. do the same to any other plants you have in the house. Fungus gnats aren't particular where they lay their eggs and other plants will be infected too.The soap won't hurt the plant but it will kill fungus gnat eggs and larvae

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here