Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_n_ontario

Need A Garden Buddy in Northern Ontario... November

Debbie_N_Ontario
17 years ago

Hi everyone *waving*

It sure has been cold here. We have been getting snow too, but have been lucky as we have lost most of it.

My Christmas cactus is blooming now so I have some colour in the house, as well as the Christmas decorations I have put up too. *S* I'm a bit early with my Christmas decorations this year I already have the tree up and the lights on it,,, just have to decorate it.

Take care

Debbie :-)

Comments (4)

• clairdo2
    17 years ago

Oh my ! you are early. I don't decorate till middle of Dec..We also had snow and it's gone now. Today is a nice sunny day about 8 deg.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Morning!

Our weather has been up and down, and i haven't really been able to do much outside for about a month now. I have planted some bulbs (tulips yesterday, even) but that was back in October. I've raked leaves like crazy and have bags of them waiting for next spring - my mind is just seething with plans for new beds! Am i nuts, or what? LOL

I don't decorate anything until the beginning of December - the tree not till the middle at least. But some people really like Christmas and do it early. My girlfriend is probably decorating hers today, if i know her! I probably will put the Christmas lights out today, just to get it done, but we won't plug them in until December. I bought some of those new LED lights - round red ones to go on the cherry bushes! Let's pretend it's summer!

Nothing much is new here. Just work, various club meetings, that sort of thing. I've joined TOPS too - will i be slim and beautiful by this time next year? Ha! Not likeley! LOL Maybe just a bit slimmer. :)

Yesterday my daughter and son-in-law hit a deer on their way into town. My poor daughter - she phoned from her cell asking for her dad and her voice was all shaky. He was outside, so she told me the whole thing. The deer came running across the highway and hit the driver's window, just smashing it. Then he flipped over the box of the truck - and got up and took off into the field on the other side of the highway! The guy behind them who stopped was just amazed that the deer survived! Anyway, they're fine, just a couple of cuts from the glass, but there's no window and no mirror on the driver's side. So after she told me all this, i asked her why she wanted her dad, and she wailed, "I don't know!" She was a little shook up! :)

Many of my cuttings just aren't making it. I threw out all the impatiens that i had brought in because they got infested with spider mites and aphids right away. I took cuttings from them first and even though there's no sign of bugs they still don't look good. Some of the bacopa is still alive, but the purple one didn't make it. Oh well, such is life. Shrug. :)

Nothing much else. I'm just catching up on different forums this morning in between doing laundry and other stuff. Dh has gone hunting so i have the place to myself - bliss!

Have a great, if dreary, November!

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

The weather has been lovely the past few days in my part of Ontario. We reached +10 celsius yesterday and I was able to spend time in the garden .. filling bird feeders, cutting mums and other plants that had been overlooked and making some small greenery pots to give as gifts to friends. No Christmas decorating yet for me at least untill December starts.

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi everyone. *waving*
    Sorry I haven't been around latey, just haven't been feeling too well.

Clairdo, I have always decorated early since I was in my late teens. I just love Christmas and all the decorations,,they are so pretty to be put in a closet for too long. *S*
    Do u get a real tree? We have an artifical tree so it makes it a bit easier for us, though I do love the smell of a real tree! But hubs and are are unable to handle one. I'm sure the cat would love it to. LOL

Our weather has been so strange. Yesterday it was back up to 6C!! Wow! I could really get use to this kind of weather! It has been quite mild here the past couple of weeks, like 6 or 9C! If that is global warming I am liking it! LOL I am so hoping for a green Christmas this year.
    Son has been down in Cornwall taking a training course and he can't get over seeing Christmas lights and decorations and no snow, but I told him there is no snow up here either. He said it was 14c yesterday and suppose to be 16c today. The damp is really getting to his arthritis though. School is going well and he is enjoying it. He should be home in another couple of weeks. Keeps asking me what I want for christmas and I told him I really didn't have much of an idea.

Not many birds around the feeders anymore, I don't know where they went, maybe farther north where it is colder. *S*
    Here I was worried that I planted my bulbs too late and they wouldn't have time to grow roots, but I'm sure with all the warm weather and rain we've been having they have grown roots now.

Now Marcia, what kind of a loaded question is that?
    "I've raked leaves like crazy and have bags of them waiting for next spring - my mind is just seething with plans for new beds! Am i nuts, or what? LOL "

Ummm I would guess the first choice? LOL *ducking*
    I have been looking at those LED lights but haven't bought any yet. Tell me what u think of those red ones and I love your idea of putting them on the cherry bushes!
    I'm so glad your daughter is ok after them hitting that deer. It must have been very scary for them. We don't have deer here but I have heard of people hitting moose.
    Sorry to hear u aren't having much luck with your cuttings. Did u try using that rooting hormone stuff?

Hi crafty! Nice to see u again. Your weather sounds like it has been good there too. Those greenery pots of yours sound like they will make lovely gifts. *S*
    Take care everyone.......
    Debbie :-)