Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to stop watering

Posted by evening z4 VT (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 04 at 20:00

It has gotten cold early here in Vermont (at least for me!). I think we're going to be lucky this next week with highs in the 40s. I'm fairly new to gardening, and I was wondering when it is ok to stop watering.

I'm a little worried about the pansies I planted in Oct as they are looking quite limp right now. Is it ok to water, or will that make things worse?

And was wondering for other plants as well (like my yews I planted this fall, or any plant, really).

What are your general rules of thumb?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to stop watering

For the pansies planted in Oct., the roots probably havent spread out too much so even if you have had rainfall, it might be dry right around the roots of the plants. I would water.

As for conifers such as yews (and most plants, really) I keep watering regularly during the fall right until the ground begins to freeze. In our area this happens the first week of November, though this year its been very mild. Its important that they enter winter with moist soil. Actually, I read that its important to water regularly all fall, but especially important during early fall and right before ground freeze up. If you have newly planted yews, this may be especially important as the roots have not yet spread out into the surrounding soil. Yews are especially sensitive to winter burn the first few years, so watering is important. You might want to possibly provide some shade protection as well (wrap in burlap, but not directly touching the plant) if they are in a very sunny spot.

Depending on the climate, if you get warm spells during winter and the ground dries out, you may have to water during winter. For us, the ground freezes in November and thaws in April, so rarely do I have to water during winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here