Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rqhansen

Pawlonia Northern Range

rqhansen
12 years ago

Anyone growing any species of Pawlonia or seen any trees in Zone 5 without a lot of winter damage? It grows well here in Louisville, but I remember seeing a couple trees in a very sheltered location in Urbana, IL, but they often had some winter damage. Reports all say they are only really hardy to Zone 6 or 7?

Comments (2)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Mine seems to do fine here in the Detroit area, a very borderline 6a. As its gotten older, it seems to be better able to keep the flower buds over the winters. The past two years its had a good floral display, whereas previously, the buds would freeze and die in all but the most mild winters. And, last winter was quite cold -- I was shocked that some buds made it through, but that most of the buds made it through.

The tree itself has never suffered any dieback from the cold. I can't say the same about its neighbor, and 'E.H. Wilson' silk tree, which died back partially in the winter of 2009-2010, but surprisingly did ok during the harsher winter of 2010-2011.

We'll see what this year brings. The Paulownia is now about 20 years old, and I'd say about 20 to 25 feet tall.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I took this photo last year in roughly late Nov/early December.

{{gwi:484125}}

Sponsored